Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2006, 11:39 PM

Gulping and swallowing and anxious

Loki suddenly started swallowing excessively and making gulping noises. At the same time he was pacing around anxiously and wanting to go outside and eat grass. He hasn't been sick and the gulping seems to have stopped now but I wonder what caused it?

He had the usual stuff to eat tonight and I don't think he picked up anything out on his evening walk.

Any ideas?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2006, 11:52 PM
i wish i could answer this for you but i cant im having the same predicament myself with shiloh yesterday he did what loki is doing but shaking with it and tonight he did the shaking bit again and was asking to go outside i thought he was going to be sick but he wasnt i wish i knew what was causing this he seems alright now hes playing with chey but im going to see what hes like tomorrow it really frightened me when he started shaking
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Maybe they've picked something up without us knowing? I hope Shiloh is okay tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on Loki and if he seems off again I'll take him to the vet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi LS , the gulping is often the result of increased salivation prior to vomiting.....the pacing can be an indication of tummy pain. Both can be symptoms of bloat...always check to make sure to the tummy is not swollen/distended or painful to the touch . It may just be indigestion .
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 12:54 AM
It sounds a little bit like mine do somtimes
they have had a sort of loud gulping sounds on a few occasions ,Benji has done it more than Kira ,when Benji first done it I was quite worried and kept a close eye on him but there was nothing other than this loud gulping noise that he had done ?
I have noticed that after they have had big knuckle bones from the butcher they are more likely to do this ,I think they might have chewed off a large piece and that has perhaps hurt their throat a little on swallowing ?
They have both done this noise and never any other symptoms and both been totally fine so its a mystery unless its what I think it might be ?
Just keep an eye on him if worried phone the vets for advice
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Ozzy does this before he is sick, sometimes he can be doing it for up to an hour before he does actually vomit.

The first time he did it, I was worried he had something stuck in his throat as none of my other dogs acted this way!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone.

I felt his tummy but he seemed absolutely fine and this morning there is no sign of any of the symptoms, so hopefully it was an irritation or something?

Thanks.

Hope Shiloh is okay today.
xxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 10:44 AM
It is a common sign prior to vomiting but is also a clue that something is wrong, so if the dog is sick and then is not normal I would be watching them and thinking of phoning the vet for a check up. It can be the sign of internal blood loss amongst other things so if the dog is in any other way unwell, check it out with the vet better to be thought a neurotic pest than to be sorry.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Thanks everyone.

I felt his tummy but he seemed absolutely fine and this morning there is no sign of any of the symptoms, so hopefully it was an irritation or something?

xxx
Hi LS pleased Loki is ok...
The 'swallowing gulping ' caused by increased salivation/gastric juices in the mouth is similar to 'water brash' in humans and frequently happens prior to vomiting.. Dogs often rush off and eat grass at this time maybe it acts as an emetic , I was told by an old terrier man that dogs use the long blades of grass to tickle the throat and induce vomiting similar to humans putting fingers down their throat.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 01:57 PM
aww im so pleased that loki is feeling alot better shiloh hasnt had any more shaking tremores today so im just thinking it was the shock of going outside from the warmth to the freezing cold will keep an eye on him if it happens again will get him straight to the vets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >