Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 08:55 PM

Arthritis

Arthritis in cats
Has anyone had a cat who has suffered with arthritis? and do you have any "suggestions" for easing their
discomfort and stiffness? I believe in my cats case it is due to old age - as it has only come to the fore in the last few months and is getting worse - slowly but you can see the stiffness when getting up, but still allows us/me to groom - so not too uncomfortable I imagine.
Karen
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi,
I have an 19 yr old cat misty & she started to get a bit stiff a few months ago.
I already give my Amy (rotty) glucosamine tablet 1 a day for her joints so started to give misty a 1/4 of 1 mixed in her food once a day.
Sounds silly as its supposed to be for humans who have joint probs but she doesnt seem so bad now
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Kazz, as you know Teagan has just been diagnosed with arthritis.
The vet has given us Glucosamine, among other things.
My Mum also takes Glucosamine + Chondroitin for her arthritis.
I'm sure they can be used to cats too!
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:19 PM
HTML Code:
Glucosamine + Chondroitin
Hiya I have arthritis and used to take this but because there is supposed to be ground shell from shelfish in I'm allergic to this so had to stop but I still take glucosamine. Alot of people say I'm very catty and it works for me
Poor cat though hope he/she can find some kind of comfort.
Tracie
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks all I am going to the vets tomorrow but wanted to ask first.

Karen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are substances found naturally in the body. Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is believed to play a role in cartilage formation and repair. Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity.

Both glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are sold as dietary or nutritional supplements. They are extracted from animal tissue: glucosamine from crab, lobster or shrimp shells; and chondroitin sulfate from animal cartilage, such as tracheas or shark cartilage
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Ask about Syn-flex! I give it to my goldie and it has worked wonders!I hope the puss cat is more comfortable soon!

PS. I do not work for the company and I dont have shares in it! LOL
I seem to rave about it quite regularly!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks Miss Potter
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 10:14 PM
My 18 year old cat has 1/2 a prednisolone (sp?) every other day to ease his arthritis, and also the feline equivalent of cod liver oil, in a tasty chewy meaty flavoured thingy. The short burst course of the steroids has really eased him up a lot and now the longer term maintenance dose seems to be keeping it under control. He has become a lot less stiff and he can now jump onto the sofa and bed again which he hasn't been able to do for a while!

Also just be aware that sagging back legs in a cat, especially an older one, can be a symptom that your cat has developed diabetes so if this is symptom, be aware that your vet might want to test for this (involves collecting a urine sample from your cat - which I actually found easier than I was expecting!) and then a follow up blood test if necessary.

Hope that helps, good luck at the vets, hope your puss is doing well,
Fluffy x
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Poor Cleo . No suggestions but no doubt the vet will have something. The only thing I would say is try to keep her warm and dry but I expect she is old and wise enough not to go out in the bad weather
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >