View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 03:07 PM

What is it like when you first move out on your own?

I have been itching to move out for about 6-12 months now, but due to needing to still save more, I will be at home for the next couple of years

I can afford to rent now, but I want to buy

Hopefully I can move out by the time I am 26/27! (24 at the moment).

As I am single just now, my plans are for me to move out on my own and buy my own wee place

I was just wondering what it is actually like when you do eventually move out after saving so much? And just generally living on your own? Longest I have lived on my own for is like 3 weeks lol, when my parents were on holiday and my brother was working/out a lot, so much so I literally hardly ever saw him as he was never in the house.

Just wondering how it actually is? To me it seems like good fun, and will be amazing being independent, and also being able to get a second dog! Too exciting!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I have been itching to move out for about 6-12 months now, but due to needing to still save more, I will be at home for the next couple of years

I can afford to rent now, but I want to buy

Hopefully I can move out by the time I am 26/27! (24 at the moment).

As I am single just now, my plans are for me to move out on my own and buy my own wee place

I was just wondering what it is actually like when you do eventually move out after saving so much? And just generally living on your own? Longest I have lived on my own for is like 3 weeks lol, when my parents were on holiday and my brother was working/out a lot, so much so I literally hardly ever saw him as he was never in the house.

Just wondering how it actually is? To me it seems like good fun, and will be amazing being independent, and also being able to get a second dog! Too exciting!
Renting is good too. I have done both and prefer renting. And I have two dogs here and two cats,.

met someone a bit older than you recenlty who has been saving to buy for years and every time she gets near, prices and interest rates go up so she never gets there and is living meanly meanwhile but renting so the two are not mutually exclusive.

I moved away from home at 22, renting then and it is good and a freedom but the older you get the harder it can be. There are different responsibilities etc of course.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
i am less than a couple of months away from moving out on my own ... as i havn't got anything saved i am having to lodge for a while until i'm on my feet financially. going to be a very new experience, and i'm not quite sure what to expect! me and the OH are hoping to do some serious saving over the next 12 months so we can put a nice deposit down on a place between us
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Renting is good too. I have done both and prefer renting. And I have two dogs here and two cats,.

met someone a bit older than you recenlty who has been saving to buy for years and every time she gets near, prices and interest rates go up so she never gets there and is living meanly meanwhile but renting so the two are not mutually exclusive.

I moved away from home at 22, renting then and it is good and a freedom but the older you get the harder it can be. There are different responsibilities etc of course.
How come you prefer renting? I would love to move out
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
i am less than a couple of months away from moving out on my own ... as i havn't got anything saved i am having to lodge for a while until i'm on my feet financially. going to be a very new experience, and i'm not quite sure what to expect! me and the OH are hoping to do some serious saving over the next 12 months so we can put a nice deposit down on a place between us
Exciting times! So you are renting first and then buying?
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:00 AM
I bought this place when I was twenty-three. I started by going to see a mortgage adviser to get an idea of what I was going to be able to afford (no point in falling in love with a house and then finding out you can't have it). Armed with my maximum affordable price, I went round all the estate agents to collect leaflets.

As it happened, I bought the first house I looked at. Built in 1884, it was a MESS - rising damp, rotten woodwork, you name it, if it was bad this place had it. However, it also had a walled garden and an outbuilding, and I saw what it could be instead of what it was.

It had been on the market ages (apparently local rumour says it's haunted), and because of how long it had been for sale and the state of it, I managed to get it for a decent price. However, it did need a load of work doing before I could move in, and nearly thirteen years later it's still not finished.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
How come you prefer renting? I would love to move out
Less hassles as few realise the hidden costs of ownership ie maintenance.

If eg washing machine breaks down, landlord has to fix it or replace it. And the same with repairs

Read coventrycatfishe'spost! Wonderful!!!!

The houses I owned were a little like that too

With renting IF you are careful with what you choose and get a good lease and look at all aspects, you know exactly the cost per month which makes saving easier. No hidden nightmares if there is a disaster.

This house had been empty a while and various things have needed fixing; just call the landlord.
He does the rest.

Many landlords will pay for paint and let you do the decorating; saves them money of course.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Less hassles as few realise the hidden costs of ownership ie maintenance.

If eg washing machine breaks down, landlord has to fix it or replace it. And the same with repairs

Read coventrycatfishe'spost! Wonderful!!!!

The houses I owned were a little like that too

With renting IF you are careful with what you choose and get a good lease and look at all aspects, you know exactly the cost per month which makes saving easier. No hidden nightmares if there is a disaster.

This house had been empty a while and various things have needed fixing; just call the landlord.
He does the rest.

Many landlords will pay for paint and let you do the decorating; saves them money of course.
Must be a wonderful rental place where things like washing machines are supplied with it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Here in Cyprus it is the norm for F/Freezer, Cooker, Cooker hood, Washing machine and even Television to be provided in furnished rental properties. The ones I manage even have toaster, kettle, microwave and everything you need to live in them.

I have owned properties for more than 30 years and came to Cyprus with the intention to buy (after renting for a year to look around).

I will now never buy again. The biggest advantage of renting is that if you don't like something about it (i.e. bad neighbours or noisy area etc.) you can just give notice and move.

UK seems unique in the number of people who are determined to OWN not rent - other countries have far higher numbers of renters. I think it's something to do with the UK being one of the few places where it is more expensive to rent than to pay a mortgage. And of course it is hard to save for a deposit if you are paying anything up to £1K in rent every month.

I could relate my experience of first moving out on my own to you but as I was only about 17 when I did it I can hardly remember! All my 3 kids effectively 'moved out' when they were 18 and off to Uni as they've all lived independently since then. They are now 37, 35 and 24.
All of them still rent.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Must be a wonderful rental place where things like washing machines are supplied with it.
Malka, this is standard here. Washing machine, fridge, cooker and often more.

Tenancy law in Ireland is newish but good.

I was shocked when thinking of moving abroad to find that nothing was supplied like this

There is even a dishwasher here but would never use that.

Even at the bottom end of the market where I am you can expect and insist on this.

Check out Tenancy Act Ireland for all details.

Not sure the the UK of course. But here all these things have to be in and heating and ventilation in every room.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >