Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Heart failure (updated at post 12)

I took Pebbles in to the vets today as she was going to get some xrays done on her chest, this is because they could hear some fluid on her lungs and they just wanted to be sure that her heart and chest were ok. Turns out she has the first signs of heart failure. Im totally and utterly gutted, it took all my strength not to cry in the room when they were telling me this. I knew it something was coming due to her age ( 18 ) but its just the initial shock that gets you.

She is now on heart meds and water tablets to try and flush out the fluid in her lungs. Only prob is, she wont be able to hold her wee any more so i will need to get a nappy for her. Any one got any ideas of some good ones that are out there?

I must admit that i cried all the way home in the car. The whole 30min drive, im totally gutted
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
so so sorry for you and pebbles , my old staffy had the same...did a lot of couging...the meds helped her a lot...make her comfortable..'m sure things will get a little better of only in the short time..as you must know anyway...its very heart break...i feelfor you xxxxx
xxx

michele xxxxxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:46 PM
oh hun, it really is one thing after another for you at the moment isn't it.

I hope the meds work for her.

Sorry, no ideas about the nappies.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't know about the nappies, but maybe puppy pads for the floor might help a little.

I am so so sorry - I do hope that the medication gives you both some extra time.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
So sad for you. Its awful when they get old and have problems.

You might be able to get up in the night for her and sort the weeing out.

Take care.

rune
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:07 AM
So sorry to read this. No advice, just wanted to send you some hugs x0x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm also sorry to read this..I don't have any experience with regards to the nappies but I'm sure someone will be along to give some advice.

I did have an Irish Setter on the water tablets and heart tablets many years ago, we just made sure he could get out to the toilet if he needed to, we gave him the tablets first thing so that they had worn off by bedtime and he wasn't in any panic about not being able to get out overnight.

What a fantastic age Pebbles is, but I know it doesn't make this any easier.

(((Hugs))) from us too xxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
So sorry for you hearing that news, I am right with you, you did better than me I cried in the room at the poor vet telling me the news, and every time I go, they always have me blubbering away.
Scratch has a heart murmur and is in a stage of heart failure, it doesn't matter how old they are it crushes you to hear that. Scratch is about 12yrs, he went on to heart medication and only the other week onto Lasix (the water tablets), I too was told he would pee a lot more, but as of yet, not too much worse than he was (he sometimes, has to go too quickly for him to even tell us, it is like it sneaks up on him, but that is one reason I am sure they were made. Not sure about the nappies, there are a few around, it could be a case of trying each one to see what suits the best, if I tried them on Scratch he would rip it to shreds anyway , maybe you could ring a few and see if they could sent you one or two to try
Never nice news, any time feel free to PM me, I feel your pain, hugs to you and Pebbles
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:22 AM
as i said in an ealier reply...my staffy had this problem...it breaks your heart..i feel so sorry for you, i am sure you can get some bedding that allows he wee to go to the bottom of the bedding and keep the top dry...handy through th night or if you are out..we just bought cheep pillows from asda... and pout them in pillow cases and had a few to hand and others in the wash..hope this helps..think of you xxxxxxx
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
If the wee is just dribble then maybe the pants that bitches wear for seasons might help, you can insert a panty liner inside, if she has a proper wee then she will be able even with the pants on. They might help in the house though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >