Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Chemical castration

Having never heard of this until a vet I met mentioned it, I decided to do lots of research on it as an option for my two male litter-mate brothers who are now 15mths.
One of them has a heart murmur (so non-emergency anaesthetic is unwise). There is a kennel who breeds dogs a few times a year next door, so there are often bitches on heat. Also my two (one more than the other) is getting a little too 'big-for-his-boots' so I thought this sounded an ideal option.

There are a number of different ones on the market. The one I decided on is an implant (slightly smaller than a micro-ship) and injected between the shoulder blades. It greatly reduces the testosterone levels and after 4 weeks the full contraceptive benefits kick in. The contraceptive lasts for (6 or 12 months depending on which one you choose and the size of the dog) but the 'behavioural' benefits last nearly twice as long. You get the benefits of having a dog surgically castrated but it is totally reversible. It will help address the 'marking', male to male aggression, etc etc. You don't get the extent of weight gain often seen, although a little weight gain would be welcome in one of my two.

The vet also said that as far as the behavioural side is concerned most dogs have usually 'calmed down' by the time the implant has worn off and with his own male dogs, one implant has always been enough. Apparently it is also popular for people to address the contraceptive issue before deciding whether or not to have their dog surgically castrated. Their testicles will also shrink (not a bad thing in my opinion). I cannot find any negative 'reading' about the implant, where there is a lot of negative reading about full castration.

I had my two 'implanted' yesterday and will let you know what I notice over the coming months!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:51 AM
I know several people in various disciplines who have had this carried out on their dogs with no ill effects and a full return to fertility (where desired and proved).

At the neutering seminar and at Christine Zink seminar, vasectomy was considered ideal for dogs.

I guess one of the reasons this (and the zinc gluconate) could be a problem is for rescue as it would not be apparent that these dogs did not need castrating.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi Smokey Bear, Well I guess a neutering seminar would be 'pro' neutering The vets I have spoken to are now of the opinion that automatic neutering/castration is not necessarily the ideal choice. It is still recommended by many, but my vet is of the opinion that any unnecessary anaesthetic is still a risk. As far as his vet practice is concerned neutered dogs are at a higher risk of prostate cancer and Osteoscarcoma. The risk for testicular cancer is really quite low, and easily cured (castrate them then). When I was growing up it was unusual for anyone to have male dogs castrated and our family pets never were, it really wasn't offered as an option. However, I do remember one of our male dogs escaping over a 6' fence on the scent of a females on a regular basis
I know there are so many pros and cons regarding castration, but this implant seems to address both so I'll be interested to see how my two do with it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi Smokey Bear, Well I guess a neutering seminar would be 'pro' neutering The vets I have spoken to are now of the opinion that automatic neutering/castration is not necessarily the ideal choice. It is still recommended by many, but my vet is of the opinion that any unnecessary anaesthetic is still a risk. As far as his vet practice is concerned neutered dogs are at a higher risk of prostate cancer and Osteoscarcoma. The risk for testicular cancer is really quite low, and easily cured (castrate them then). When I was growing up it was unusual for anyone to have male dogs castrated and our family pets never were, it really wasn't offered as an option. However, I do remember one of our male dogs escaping over a 6' fence on the scent of a females on a regular basis
I know there are so many pros and cons regarding castration, but this implant seems to address both so I'll be interested to see how my two do with it.
Well you guessed wrong!

ROFLMAO
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Smokey Bear, ...... that means they were anti?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.holisticvet.co.uk/events.html

The above should hopefully illuminate the perspective of the seminar.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:15 AM
If its Suprelorin you have used I found it brilliant, only side effect it reduces the size of their "balls" until it wears off
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:19 AM
My boy has the Suprerolin implant. I've found it brilliant. All the male behaviours that are undesirable are gone or very much reduced. There are no reported side affects either, so I'm happy it's safe for him. He lives happily with two entire bitches.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I would agree about the increased risk of osteosarcoma, particularly in large breeds, but it is my understanding that neutering reduced the incidence of prostate cancer as there is less testosterone to stimulate the prostate gland and thus the prostate cancer risk is reduced? In fact castration is a treatment route for prostate cancer.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I would agree about the increased risk of osteosarcoma, particularly in large breeds, but it is my understanding that neutering reduced the incidence of prostate cancer as there is less male hormone for the prostate gland to react to and thus the prostate cancer risk is reduced? In fact castration is a treatment route for prostate cancer.
I'm only going on what this vet has found at his large practice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >