Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Itredler
New Member!
Male 

11-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Adult dog urinating in house

My dog is about 8 years old in good health and has urinated in the house a couple of times in the same spot. I thought it might have been my fault for not walking her enough but put paper down to protect the floor just in case. Now she regularly urinates on the paper because I guess she thinks she does not have to wait to go out but can do it there.
What can I do to fix the problem? She does have access to a balcony where she is allowed to pee.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Have you had her vet checked for an UTI or any other problems? Because by just putting paper down your dog now thinks it is OK to pee there.

What you need to do is remove the paper and thoroughly clean the area where she first pee'd - I think that a bio washing powder will get rid of all traces of smell.

Because if your dog can still smell where she pee'd before, putting newspaper down over the area will make her think that it is an OK place to pee.

Good luck.

Oh, and

muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2013, 07:06 PM
You could put the soiled paper outside to encourage her to pee there.

I would take the dog out for walks more often and reward reward reward for eliminating where I want her to.
AMGT
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I agree with Malka. Although you think your dog is healthy I would always check health first for a change in behaviour. If you haven't used something enzymic to clean the spot most dogs will urinate there again. Another thought I had was, has anything else changed that may have stressed or upset your dog and perhaps caused marking/leaking/urinating to comfort. Cats seem more likely to do this but I my dog did do this on one occasion.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
If an adult dog suddenly starts peeing in the house, I'd always think UTI first. So that's where I think you should go first. Take her to the vet and have a urinalysis performed. It's not too expensive... about a $90 visit where I am.

I find that pet enzyme cleaners don't work well, and they tend to just mix with the pee and the dogs can still smell it. Instead I use distilled vinegar 100% with no water and let it penetrate then clean it... then repeat.

It gets the smell out, and pets usually hate distilled vinegar so the traces it leaves behind will usually help repel your pets even more. Beware: it stinks and when used full strength, you'll smell it as well for a bit.

If you get nothing on the urinalysis, then I'd start looking for emo problems. New neighbors, stray dogs or cats roaming about, new work hours for you... or even something as simple as a new appliance etc. could be causing the problems.

Lastly, older dogs can get weak bladders and have to pee more often... so try taking her out a bit more and waiting a bit longer for her to empty her bladder.

Good luck!
AMGT
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I too wouldn't use a pet enzyme cleaner. I would opt for biological washing powder as it contains enzymes (but not good for septic tanks which I have at our home). If you dog has peed on carpet it can be very difficult to remove all trace because these often have underlay and I have found that no matter how thoroughly I thought I had cleaned if my dog needed to go he would go there again. Can you keep your dog out of that particular area for a while?

It's always worrying when a behaviour changes and you can't identify the cause so I hope you sort this out quickly.