Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Penis infection

My 6 month old puppy has this yellow gunk coming out of his sheath.

I took him to the vet and got 5 days of antibiotics which have now finished but its still happening, she also gave us some shampoo to wash it with which evidently isn't helping.

He has stopped licking it as much so I thought it was getting better but just wiped a whole load of gunk off it (bleugh!!!)

Does anyone have any experience of this? I do not know if this is normal discharge for a male (as he is almost always erect and has discovered female dogs recently i.e. yesterday on our walk he was obsessed with this spayed bitch and had his head at her butt the whole walk and kept trying to hump her and for some reason she wouldn't tell him off) or if he does have an infection and the antibiotics/shampoo are not helping.

Should I take him to another vet for a second opinion as this vet just seemed to be guessing or just continue with the shampoo or someone else suggested a salt solution would be better for washing it with?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Well you'd think your vet would have only treated it with anitbiotics if it was an infection. Most young male dogs have a discharge from their penis which is smegma and is just lubrication really, it is usually yellowish and they do tend to grow out of it, just as they grow out of constantly having their lipstick on display. The fact your vet treated it with antibiotics would point to an infection but did they test it or what?
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 11:21 AM
My boy had a 'yellow gunk' infection ( ) when I first got him, but it cleared up with antibiotics - think I had a week's worth.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 11:32 AM
no the vet didn't test it.

She just said that young female dogs often get a juvenile vaginosis so maybe male dogs get something similar and she didn't even see any of the discharge as he had obviously licked it clean.

I have heard from my friend that it is normal, but others saying its not so I am confused. The vet didn't seem to know what it was and was just guessing.

how much smegma is normal?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-08-2010, 11:47 AM
There can be quite a lot sometimes, it may even drip. If he doesn't lick it off himself just wipe it away with a tissue. I found 'Caring for your dog' by Bruce Fogle to be a great source of info for all sorts of things like this.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 11:51 AM
he is our first dog so we are not sure what is normal, It could be just smegma then as he had antibiotics and it didn't do anything.

Do we need to be washing his penis then? our vet said to pop his penis out and wash it with the shampoo they gave us or should we just wipe the tip with a damp cloth?

I will look at that book, that might help us stop panicking lol
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Normal can be quite difficult to define as it varies considerably from dog to dog. Does his sheath look inflamed at all ? Does his penis itself appear inflamed ?
I'll type out what it says in the book anyway.
A male dog normally produces a cream yellow lubricant (smegma) in the sheath of his penis. In young dogs this fluid can be quite productive, dripping out from the prepuce when the dog is resting.This preputial drip can be aesthetically unpleasant but it is not a medical problem.

An inflamed penis and prepuce is a sign of balanoposthitis infection. The preputial drip is excessive and foul smelling and the dog increasingly licks the tip of the penis. There are many potential causes of balanoposthitis including a bacterial or herpes virus infection, a foreign body such as a grass seed or a physical injury, or even a failure to secrete sufficient lubricant.
Bacterial infection can be cultured and antibiotic sensitivity determined. Viral infection is much more difficult to diagnose. Failure to respond to antibiotics could indicate a herpes virus infection which could be transmitted to the female during mating.
Excess smegma and foreign bodies such as plant seeds are flushed from the sheath with warm saline or dilute chlorhexidine antiseptic. Preputial flushing also reduces the quantity of normal preputial discharge.

So firstly when you wipe it give it a sniff, if it doesn't stink it sounds harmless and normal to me.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Thank you for that. Next time I see some I will give it a sniff (Yuck!) and see if it is odorless. I guess it could be normal as I am presuming if it was herpes he would have sores on his penis?

I cant see any foreign objects down there and the vet checked for lumps and bumps on it and it looked normal.

I dont think it looks inflamed. It is a normal pink colour, not red or anything although I have to say I am not sure I would know the difference but the vet didn't say it was inflamed.

It would probably have been good if the vet had flushed it out if that reduces the normal amount of smegma, I almost threw up wiping it off earlier but I think knowing it is normal and not puss will make it easier to clean.

Sometimes it is on his tummy or leg too so I have to wipe it of there. Hopefully it will die down with age.

Thank you for the advice