View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Should I get another puppy - advice and opinions please!

I have a pup who is almost 10 months old, it's my first dog and I love him to bits!
I work freelance so don't really work every day, I spend a lot of time with him and I can give him a lot of attention, training, walks etc... I really didn't have a lot of problems with him when I got him, he very quickly figured out where to go to his business, chewing wasn't much of an issue either (he chewed his toys and only once had a go on my slippers). He's lovely really, I like his temperament, although he can be a bit vary of strangers and kids and pulls on the lead as he knows we are going somewhere exciting - park! Got a halti collar so trying to get him used to that as nothing else worked so far. He does not like to be left alone, but that's the breed as well as he was bred for companionship.
Apart from that he's lovely, playful, gets on with other dogs brilliantly, absolutely adores my friends too... So got me thinking if I should get another puppy to keep him company? Also as he spends so much time with me he's very attached and follows me everywhere so ideally I would like him to be a little bit more independent, not sure if that will happen when he gets older.
I'm still undecided - the pros are that he would not be lonely if I had to go out and hopefully I'd be able to leave him at home all day when I work. I normally get to take him to work with me when possible, when not then I either got friends to take him out and once I tried a dog sitter which was a disaster. New puppy would most likely follow him for toilet as well.
Cons - I do like the same breed and they are not cheap - they are small and don't shed which suits me as I live in a flat. Would not be able to take them both to work. I would be probably taking a mickey by asking my mates to take both of my dogs out... If I go away there would be two kennel fees, also two insurance policies etc....And also not sure if 10 months is the right age for my dog to be introduced to a full time friend? I was planning to get a girl to ensure they get on better. And my boy is neutered so no funny business
So as you can see I'm undecided and not taking it lightly. I really want my dog to be happy, but I also want to make sure I'm making the right decision if I do decide to get another puppy. Help?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi

I am a bit confused about your working situation. How many hours are you out of the house for on average each day? you said that getting a pup would stop your older dog from being lonely, so you could leave them alone all day? obviously if you are going to be out for longer then an hour or two, this may make toilet training problematic. As you live in a flat this will presumably mean more work on your part as again (I'm assuming) you don't have your own garden. Even if your flat mates would be around during the day, they would have to be 100% supportive in getting the pup in the first place AND helping with the toilet training.

I think if your older dog is at a good place training and behaviour wise (good behavior from your older dog will rub off on a pup), I don't see why adding a second would be problematic. I don't know too much about your breed, but from my experience smaller breed dogs definitely make far easier puppies then active working types.
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know anything about your breed but if somebody was looking to get a Weim puppy and their present dog was only 10 months old, they would be advised to wait until it was at least two.

You need to make sure adolescence is over and done with and you have the first dog trained to a certain standard before you start over again with another IMO. If they are too close in age they may start to rely on one another and decide they don't need to listen to you! Also, you don't want to fall into the trap of getting another to keep your existing dog company because it doesn't like being left alone. You should make sure they can both cope alone in case one of them has to have a stay at the vets for example, or you need to take one to training and not the other. You could end up with two dogs who get upset about being left, if the younger one picks up on the other's anxiety.

You could make your dog less dependent on you by not allowing him to follow you everywhere - use a baby gate to keep him in the room if you go leave. Weims seem to accept this more than a door being closed!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Well done for asking advice to begin with. It's not jus tthe extra insurance cost and kennelling fees. There's also the added vets fees (not covered by insurance), added food costs, and either additionaltimes spent on spearate walks or park visits, or possibly having your arms pulled off if you ultimately have 2 young dogs that pull on lead.

I think dogs fit very well into whatever routine you have for them and although he'd rather be with you at the moment, as he grows and gets older a littel bit of independance will come anyway.

Also, bear in mind that a new puppy may well not be quite so good with the chewing (or lack of it), toilet training, not drinking from the toilet, slobbering in your shoes etc. The new pup may be the worst in the world for doing all those aggravating things that puppies do.

Also, you would need to have time away from work to settle your new puppy in properly and show him the ropes. He may not automatically follow the other dog for toileting etc so you'd have to start from scratch again (possibly).
you'd ahve to have time off to settle any dog but a yougn pup without any training or manners coul dbe a disaster unless you've had more than one young pup at a time before.

I have 3 dogs who are 20 months, 16 months and 10 months and I'm about to take on another young dog who is 18 months old. I was due to have an Akita pup at 10/12 weeks old in October but the mating didn't go as expected so that fell through. I'm used to young puppies and dogs and can stay at home 24/7 to deal with them, train them, house break them, walk them etc without any other pressures. Even for me, it's hard work and I'm used to it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put you off. Just trying to make it obvious how it CAN be sometimes.

have you considered maybe an older dog who is 12-18 months old? Possibly the toilet training woul dbe done (although you'd have to show him/her where to go) and possibly a bit of training too. Do you want the same breed you already have for definite or are there other breeds yu would like? If there are ny other breeds that may be in rescues they may be worth a look.

The good thing though is that you're not taking it lightly. So that in itself means it won't be such a shock to your system when your 2 young dogs have beahved for a few months then one day you come homw to find you no longer have a sofa in your living room! If you can take that sort of thing happening and still laugh about it on the day they chew it to bits, then go for it!

Good luck.

Laura xx
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I live with my partner but he works full time and my dog is not that attached to him. So I feed him, I take him out, etc..
If I'm not working I'm mostly home all day, apart from going to the shops etc. But when I work then I'm out all day. Fluffy (I really have to change his name lol) tends to come with me to work, sometimes he can't so I leave my keys to a friend to take him out.
I don't have a garden, but park is two seconds away, but my dog was paper trained - he only goes there, he will wait for me to take him out for number two. If he actually can't hold it and has to go, he still goes to the paper and then barks for me to clean it up!
Cotons mature at 18 months. I'm only really worried about attachment to me as he's constantly with me.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks again - my floor is so clean as not to tempt the chewing! As my dog is small, 12" to the shoulders, I can safely say no drinking from the toilet! And I tend to lock the bedroom and lounge if he's left alone...actually left the whole place open today when I went food shopping and everything is fine...I'm more worried he just sits in front of the door waiting! Once I was going out in the evening so left him with a kong filled with liver pate - he hasn't touched it until I got in!
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
One thing to remember is taking two dogs anywhere is nearly always harder than just one IME!

Especially in London where we both live, everything is so locked down against dog owners, but you've more chance of going to a pub with one dog and it being ok than two.

Also you admit you work full time when you do work and I don't think it's fair to get a pup when you work FT, whether there's another dog to keep it company or not.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 04:39 PM
To be honest, it is going to be difficult house breaking a puppy if (on the days you are gone) you are gone all day. It isn't fair to crate a pup all day, nor is it practical for someone to come and let the pup out every hour or so to toilet.

If someone was going to be around for the better part of the day, I wouldn't see a problem. But in your current situation I'm not sure if I would add a puppy at this moment in time.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Toilet training would not be a problem as I was in exactly the same situation when I got my first dog and that worked fine. As I said I'm freelance so I work when I want to, so taking two weeks to help puppy adjust would not be a problem at all. And in all fairness I know quite a few people who don't work but their dogs regularly go on the carpet.
I'm very responsible and take this seriously so I'm happy to do the hard work. I suppose the biggest issue for me would be if it would be safe to leave two dogs at home alone for any period of time - once the pup is say over 4 months or so. I'm not that worried about the damage to the flat, more like what if they fight or something?
And yes that's a good point about taking two dogs anywhere in London, sadly I have to leave mine at home when I go out in the evening.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Toilet training would not be a problem as I was in exactly the same situation when I got my first dog and that worked fine. As I said I'm freelance so I work when I want to, so taking two weeks to help puppy adjust would not be a problem at all. And in all fairness I know quite a few people who don't work but their dogs regularly go on the carpet.
I'm very responsible and take this seriously so I'm happy to do the hard work. I suppose the biggest issue for me would be if it would be safe to leave two dogs at home alone for any period of time - once the pup is say over 4 months or so. I'm not that worried about the damage to the flat, more like what if they fight or something?
And yes that's a good point about taking two dogs anywhere in London, sadly I have to leave mine at home when I go out in the evening.
I would always contain a pup to a crate or completely dog proofed room until I was certain they could be trusted.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >