Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:04 AM

breeders and dogsey

Had been chatting to a friend the other day... the question of breeders on dogsey came up... Now I have always noticed the large kennels never seem to be involved with most forums..

I mentioned there were some breeders

plenty of people who work/ show there dogs {but not ness breed}

lots of pet owners

lots of rescue owners

but do you think dogsey is breeder friendly?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure.

I think there are a lot of members (me included) who are very uncomfortable with the thought of dogs getting rehomed when they're no longer able to breed.

Personally I prefer dogs to be part of the owners' family and again, the bigger the breeder, i would think, the less likely this is to be.

To be honest though, I have had so little contact with breeders, perhaps my impressions are unfair?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I think it is 'ethical breeder' friendly but knowing very little of the breeder world, I think big kennels might fall short of Dogsey standards
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
as everyone else said really i only like ethical breeders who fully health test and breed to further lines etc, not ness for showing but for pets etc or shows.

anyone else i dont have time for really as they obviously dont care.
if they have 'accidents' which i dont beleive in, if your animal is not spayed/neutered it can get pregnant, failing that you can have it terminated if it got that far.

people who dont health test and give up their dogs when they are 8yrs old lived outside and have a litter a year since 2yrs old i dont have time for either!

part of me died and was ripped apart giving up my dog that i ended up in hospital, if they can do it so easily after it has had litters for them, do they really care or love their dogs?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I should say that Dogsey is breeder-friendly as long as those breeders have the highest of standards. Sadly, there seems to be a great number of breeders who fall short of these standards.

Perhaps breeders from the larger kennels simply don't have the time to spend on internet forums? If I had a large number of dogs, I shouldn't imagine I would have much time for ANYthing else!!
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I think it's a shame that we feel the need to divide people into "breeders," "pet owners", "rescuers" etc etc. We breed occasionally, run a breed rescue, treat our dogs as spoiled pets, work them and show them and, don't find any contradiction in doing/being all these things.

Mick
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Perhaps breeders from the larger kennels simply don't have the time to spend on internet forums? If I had a large number of dogs, I shouldn't imagine I would have much time for ANYthing else!!
this would be a main factor I think.... but many just wouldnt want the buff they get for breeding... many big breeders do health test..{well in rotties anyway} cant talk for other breeds
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I think it's a shame that we feel the need to divide people into "breeders," "pet owners", "rescuers" etc etc. We breed occasionally, run a breed rescue, treat our dogs as spoiled pets, work them and show them and, don't find any contradiction in doing/being all these things.

Mick
like you Mick.. I keep my dogs like pets... will take a litter when I want a dog for myself.. I kept two form my last litter....
but do You think dogsey would be a good friendly site for larger kennels?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Another factor is that there are quite a few members of Dogsey who believe that merely keeping dogs in kennels is a sign of poor ownership or even cruelty.

Does ANYbody have the time to spend with 10 or more dogs, giving each the attention and training that is expected of owners here on Dogsey?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I would think the larger kennels have staff?

I know they do in the rottie world anyways... as the owners of said kennels spend a fair bit of time abroad judging...showing.. they often are responsible for bringing new blood lines in from other countrys too.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >