Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quails?

Urm - what can anyone tell me about keeping them..basically..
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 08:15 PM
What do you want to know? My brother keeps them.

Helen
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I just want to know if they're easy to keep.

I know they like more floor space than height and that they do have a tendency to fly straight up. I know that they make lousy mothers but I don't want to breed them.

Are they good in winter conditions or would I have to move them? They'll be in a pen that will be on the grass and a little house for them - it'll be an old converted hutch so it has little nesting areas for them.
Will I have to mesh the bottom so they can't get out? (I own rabbits lol)

Do they make easy pets?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll ask my brother. As far as I know, they are fairly easy to keep. He does breed them but only buy hatching in the incubator and I don't think he has ever tried hatching/rearing them naturally.

Anyway, will ask him.

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 07:43 PM
From my brother:

"Dead easy to keep. Hardy providing they've got some shelter and don't need much space. Cos they're so small they are cheap to feed too. Dunno about grass - mine are on slabs with shredded bark for them to scratch about in. Mine very rarely try to fly but I trim a wing just in case. Some individuals can get very tame, others are more nervous."

Hope it helps. I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer any other questions.

Helen
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-05-2011, 06:51 AM
We kept Quails for a while until we "upgraded" to chickens.
They're fabulous little birds!
There's lots on Google about them, you have to either keep the top of the run covered (they can startle, fly straight upwards and break their necks on the top of the enclosure) but we kept ours in a large run that was 6' high and didn't have any problems.
We kept ours on grass and had several pots in there of long grass which they liked to hide amongst as they do in the wild.

The eggs are very tasty but you need lots of them
I can't remember now if you need a cockerel to get the hens to lay but if so, and you don't want the eggs, then I would personally stick to just hens.
The Males are absoloute sexual tyrannosauruses and mine killed a few hens over time with his over enthusiastic conquests.

Overall they're delightful little birds to keep and are very entertaining and easy to care for.

Good luck if you go for it!

Chris

EDIT: If I can help further, please feel free to contact me if you wish
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:52 AM
I remember being told that different coloured quail are better for different things!? One colour is better for laying, another for meat and another for being broody and sitting! Can't think for the life of me what colour went with what though!

Was told this by someone that keeps/breeds/eats them & their eggs! I've never kept them so can't say if its true, it was just his own observations I think!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
From my brother:

"Dead easy to keep. Hardy providing they've got some shelter and don't need much space. Cos they're so small they are cheap to feed too. Dunno about grass - mine are on slabs with shredded bark for them to scratch about in. Mine very rarely try to fly but I trim a wing just in case. Some individuals can get very tame, others are more nervous."

Hope it helps. I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer any other questions.

Helen
Thank you - I'm sure when the time comes to get some I will have plenty more questions.

Originally Posted by Murv View Post
We kept Quails for a while until we "upgraded" to chickens.
They're fabulous little birds!
There's lots on Google about them, you have to either keep the top of the run covered (they can startle, fly straight upwards and break their necks on the top of the enclosure) but we kept ours in a large run that was 6' high and didn't have any problems.
We kept ours on grass and had several pots in there of long grass which they liked to hide amongst as they do in the wild.

The eggs are very tasty but you need lots of them
I can't remember now if you need a cockerel to get the hens to lay but if so, and you don't want the eggs, then I would personally stick to just hens.
The Males are absoloute sexual tyrannosauruses and mine killed a few hens over time with his over enthusiastic conquests.

Overall they're delightful little birds to keep and are very entertaining and easy to care for.

Good luck if you go for it!

Chris

EDIT: If I can help further, please feel free to contact me if you wish
Thank you - you will no doubt be asked some more questions

Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I remember being told that different coloured quail are better for different things!? One colour is better for laying, another for meat and another for being broody and sitting! Can't think for the life of me what colour went with what though!

Was told this by someone that keeps/breeds/eats them & their eggs! I've never kept them so can't say if its true, it was just his own observations I think!!
I don't actually know what I want them for - just something new I guess. I wanted another animal, got dogs, got rabbits - time for something easy though

Will let you know when I have decided, going to visit a few people who keep them first though

Thank you for your help