Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 03:59 PM

Walking dogs off the lead !!

HI

Wanted some opinions on this as perhaps its just me thats too sensitive about it.

As you will probably know by now from previous threads - Bruno is not a very sociable doggy - he does not like other dogs and is always walked on the lead around our local area.

What really really annoys me however is the amount of dog owners who walk their dogs off lead and allow them to come charging up to Bruno without calling them back etc - This happens on a daily basis and I just dont understand their mentality.

Correct me if I am wrong - but if you werer out walking your dog and saw me and bruno ( who walks on a harness and lead - he is a tough looking wee dog - as soon as he sees another dog - ears are up and he makes himself very big !! ) If you also saw me reel him in off his extension lead, would you not think to yourself - mmmnnn that dog is probably on a lead for a reason perhaps I will call my dog back !!!

The amount of times I have had to "catch a dog" before it gets to Bruno so that he doesnt lunge at it I dont know.

Why do people do this - they would be the first ones to have a go at me if Bruno bvit one of their dogs !!!

sorry - letting off a little steam there !! - what are your thoughts??

dani
craig
Dogsey Junior

08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
i agree its not rocket science, they just need to read the sighns. my dogs dont get off the leash if there are any other dogs, sheep ,horses or anything that moves not that they will hurt them i just dont risk it.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
have to agree with you there are an awful lot of stupid people around or maybe they just dont think i know how you feel there is nothing worse than having your dog on a lead and another one running loose going circles round you i wish people would think more
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
We walk ours off lead a lot but when we see anyone even a mile away in the distance the leads go back on - we are well aware that not everyone wants to be loved by our lab cross ! But we then have the problem of when our yorkie is on a lead he is very aggressive off lead he's a sweetie but do people do us the courtesy of keeping their dogs on lead ? Sorry rant over ops:
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
I walk both my dogs off lead, if I see another dog approaching that is off lead then I leave my dogs, but if I see another dog on lead or its owner just putting its lead on then I call my and put their leads straight on until we have past the on lead dog.

My gripe round where I live is a few owners who walk their dogs offlead but expect any other off lead dog to be on a lead because their dog doesnt like being approached by other dogs. Even tho my dogs are trained to ignore other dogs on command, but I do like to see my dogs interacting with other dogs.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Teagan can play up on lead, but offlead she just wants to play.

I find it annoying when she is on lead, and another dog appears from no where, and starts sniffing Teagan.
She then gets aggitated.
The other dogs owner strolls round the corner, and see's me struggling to get the dogs away from each other, and does nothing about it!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
but I do like to see my dogs interacting with other dogs.
I agree - I would love it if my dog was off the lead and cavorting with other dogs however at this stage its just not possible - but as you say if you see another dog which clearly doesnt look as if its going to play then dogs should be put back on the lead.

I love the comment - when I shout at other dog owners to get their dogs back on the lead - they shout back - oh its ok love my dogs are fine - well duh - but mine isnt and its about to bite yours !!

I can understand owners wanting to see their dogs enjoying being off the lead - but some in my area dont even have leads for their dogs so I just have to try and grad bruno as close as possible whilst they run round him - getting him even more agitated - which just goes to enhance his lead aggression !!!

I also was in the vets last week and a woman came in with her dog off the lead !!! and then her dog came up to Bruno who started - and she eventually called it back and then screamed at it for not coming the first time she called it - I just turned round and said to her that she should have it on the lead and then she wouldnt have to scream at her dog - she didnt like that - but honestly what stupidity....aaahhh - right going to have a cup of tea and chill out !!
dani
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I always walk my dog off a lead but i live in a very small village and know everyone (and their dogs!!) around here and all the dogs are friendly so if Chloe sees another dog i know its safe for her to go and play with them.
If i was walking somewhere else and saw a dog i didn't know that was on a lead, with a harness etc on i would immediately call Chloe back. As well as not wanting my dog to get hurt it is kind of rude to just let your dog run up to someone you dont know in my opinion. Especially as Chloe weighs six stone and is built like a rottweiler!! A lot of people are a bit wary of her at first, and if i didnt know her i certainly wouldn't want her running at me!!

It must be so frustrating to have to keep looking around for other dogs running towards yours when really it is the responibility of the other dog owner to keep their dog under control...
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi I rarely have Sal (SBT bitch, 2.5years)on a lead in the park/chase etc. However she does come straight back when called does not run up to other dogs. Stops when told and "goes down" when I want her to. She has been brought up to ignore horses/sheep/cattle/chickens (she is scared of chickens) But I do put her on a lead if I see someone put their dog on a lead or walking on lead already especially in a field I figure there is a reason and I am not going to "add fuel to a possible hot spot"
On roads etc she is always on a lead - always.

Tess (sbt bitch almost 9 months) is let off the lead and does return when called - does go down when told. And does not run up to others dogs when she sees them now. But is always on a lead or 30ft training led around horses/cattle/sheep etc she is not sure and it is more to keep her safe and my sanity than anything else. She also stays always on a lead on roads etc.

I must say I get more trouble when walking, from people who just open car doors and let there dogs run riot - never leaving the car themselves.
Karen
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I will never let my dog get close to another dog on walks until the other dogs owner had said it was ok.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »