Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-02-2005, 01:34 PM

how can stafford owners expect support

how can stafford owners expect support against BSL when scumbags are doing this to other peoples pet dogs ....
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 01:49 PM
You get good and bad in all walks of life. I would hope that people realise that these people are in the minority rather than the majority and that for the most part the people who own these breeds are caring, honest and

In a way its like saying how do you expect people to support say - now this is just an example – Muslims when a small minority are involved in terrorism and go around committing atrocious crimes. The truth is for the most part people know that you can’t blame everybody for the actions of some. There will always be those who wish to remain ignorant regardless of the facts and they are best ignored imo.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 02:52 PM
In a way its like saying how do you expect people to support say - now this is just an example – Muslims when a small minority are involved in terrorism and go around committing atrocious crimes.
unfotunately some people did turn against Muslims after the 9/11 terrorism though
and there are many many people who DO think that all STAFFYS etc are killers
Some people will believe anything they read in the newspaper
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi Lel,

I know they did, the whole situation was sad as is the article Minty posted and the BSL that certain governments are trying to push through.

That was just really an example, of course there are always those who believe what they read and those who would seek retribution for something somebody else did BUT I am of the opinion that in general most people are aware that these people who are involved in such activities are in the minority rather than the majority. There will always be people who believe whatever they read regardless of what the true facts are. Like the recent article about badger baiting up here in Scotland in the NOTW. It told about snarling Staffords & Pitbulls these guys used never once mentioned a JRT yet the dog in the picture going at the badgers set was.....you guessed it a JRT. I had a few comments and looks that same day with my two I expected it but the people who matter know the rest well there is no chaging them I am afraid.

To ask why should we expect people to support BSL when this goes on could be like asking the same question with regards to so many other issues because like I have already said you get good and bad in all walks of life.

The best thing imo we can do is carry on promoting the breed in a positive light and fighting their corner when it comes to issues such as BSL. For those people opposed to the breed or talking them down well I think there will always be people like that regardless of what is said & done.

Laura
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 03:13 PM
how can stafford owners expect support against BSL
to be honest I think its only those people in the breed that care anyway
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lel
how can stafford owners expect support against BSL
to be honest I think its only those people in the breed that care anyway
Unfortunately I think that, on the whole, you are right Lel. Issues such as BSL do tend to illustrate the existence of a degree of apathy among those not directly affected and therefore, the vocal minority are able to sway opinion without much opposition. As I have said before, and cannot empahasize too strongly, if BSL is rearing its head there then ALL owners and breeders of ALL breeds need to stand together as tomorrow it may be their GSDs, their Boxers, their Dobermans, their Collies, their Staff 'type', their standard poodle, etc. etc. etc.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 08:00 PM
You're wuite right SB
its not just bullys in other countries that fall under BSL
Collies etc do too
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 08:20 PM
We do care Lel, but unless and until the people who make these laws can tell one dog from another all dogs are in danger of unfair rules. Just don't know what the answer is, we all know that it is the owner and breeder not the breed that are the real cause of the problem but how can it be tackled, licensing would not help as the people who allow their dogs to cause all similar breeds to come under fire are not the ones who will get a licence.

Ever since I have had and known dogs there have been one breed or another under fire as being dangerous and more often than not the named breed is not the true culprit, when it has been it is always going through a period of popularity and being over bred by those who don’t know or care what they are doing.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2005, 10:22 PM
As Thordell says, over the years various breeds have been unfairly demonised, but once the hysteria is enshrined in legislation you have the thin edge of the wedge. It is much easier to add on a breed than to get one removed from the banned or dangerous categories. We have the situation in Qld where, not only are pitbulls banned, but any pitbull 'type' can be seized and killed. The system to determine a pitbull type is ludicrous in the extreme - it has been said that a chihuahua meets all the required identification points! Also most of the officers (and some of the vets) that make the decisions would not know a pitbull unless it had a label round its neck. Hysteria & ignorance drive this tye of legislation, see for example the "Alsatian Dog Act" which made the importation of GSDs into Australia illegal. The ban was imposed in 1929 and not lifted until 1972 (1976 in WA).
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 08:08 AM
"Alsatian Dog Act"

Now that is interesting, always thought that the UK was to blame for starting this but it would seem not, we just changed the name of the same breed to suit the political climate.

Think the people who drew up the DDA law foresaw what would happen, that people would import or breed pitbull replacements, at the time there was a public out cry against what the press called pitbulls although from the photos it was clear that some were nothing of the sort and think the law was more against the sort of use being made of this type of animal than the animal itself. Trouble is those who make the law are all ways wishing to please the general public, the press and the lobbing groups, the RSPCA included, and lets face it, the law makers know nothing of dogs as a group so will take what they are told by the lobbing groups and run with it. Unfortunately like most law until it honed over many years by the courts there are always anomalies and loop holes that bring new laws it into disrepute, one only has to look at the last one that will effect us as dog owners, the hunting with dogs law.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >