Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
merrilysinger
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2008, 04:07 AM

English Springer Spaniel behavior issues

I adopted a one-year old male English Springer Spaniel from a shelter a week ago. I am wondering how long it takes for a dog to begin completely trusting his new owners? He knows commands and I have been reinforcing good behavior positively. He is mostly housebroken too. I have child-proofed the house because he gets a hold of everything, from shoes, towels, etc. I have also provided him with toys, chews, etc. My only concern is that when I attempt to scold him for bad behavior, he acts out. When he takes something he is not supposed to have or is someplace he is not supposed to be, he will run around like a mad man throughout the house over tables, couches, and people. I do not chase him. If I try to calm him down during these episodes, he becomes very defiant and will attempt to bite my hands and arms. Ever since I got him, he has needed constant, 24/7 attention. He has not been left alone one minute. He also doesn't quite know how to play nicely as he becomes overbearing and begins to bite. I have no idea about his background, but other experienced dog owners who I have come in contact with, including myself, think he was abused. At the dog park, he will be nice to people and dogs, but gets scared for unknown reasons.

Also, he has LOTS of energy. I have been taking him on a two-three mile jog/run everyday since going on a long walk and the dog park did not seem enough. Even though I do this, he does not get tired out. He will run around in the backyard even after going out. He will sometimes lie around the house, but it does not last long. At dark, he gets especially unruly and has energy outbursts where I can not settle him down. I have been trying to train him and have seen some progress, but I am not sure how much he will change. When he is good, he is pleasant to be around. But when he is bad, it’s a nightmare and extremely difficult. I have had experience with abused dogs before, except I am concerned whether or not this one will change. My previous dogs were field spaniels and cocker spaniels. My family-adults including two seniors- are having a difficult time adjusting to this dog because of his behavior. Can anyone give some guidance and advice?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I would suggest not telling him off at all. Even if he hadn't been abused, moving to a new house and meeting new people is a worrying thing for most dogs and you need to build up his trust. He probably take sthe things because they are more interesting than his toys. I wouldn't make an issue out of it, pretend you aren't bothered, then call him to you and give hime something better, or do a little possitive training session with him. I think telling him off will only teach him that you are unpredictable as you don't shout when he picks up other objects.

YOu know that they are very active dog (mentally and physically) so i would try lots of things to stimulate his brain, puzzles, kongs, busta cubes.........i wouldn't feed him in a bowl but use the majority of his food for training, spread the kibble around to get him searching for it and keeping himself occupied etc.

If you go to the APDT and APBC website there should be advice on these sorts of issues when rehoming adult dogs, and links to other sites too.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I would suggest not telling him off at all. Even if he hadn't been abused, moving to a new house and meeting new people is a worrying thing for most dogs and you need to build up his trust. He probably take sthe things because they are more interesting than his toys. I wouldn't make an issue out of it, pretend you aren't bothered, then call him to you and give hime something better, or do a little possitive training session with him. I think telling him off will only teach him that you are unpredictable as you don't shout when he picks up other objects.

YOu know that they are very active dog (mentally and physically) so i would try lots of things to stimulate his brain, puzzles, kongs, busta cubes.........i wouldn't feed him in a bowl but use the majority of his food for training, spread the kibble around to get him searching for it and keeping himself occupied etc.

If you go to the APDT and APBC website there should be advice on these sorts of issues when rehoming adult dogs, and links to other sites too.
I think this is a really good answer. I'm not in your home I know so therefore don't know how you 'scold' but here there or two adult BC's and a puppy BC, we have many days were one of the adults and the puppy behave like lunatics...........running from garden, round the dinning table and back into the garden, and appreciate that this gets 'wearing' to us, so I just whistle and give a treat then give them 'kongs' etc., and play stimulation games with them, but I don't 'scold' .
As these type of dogs (that you own) are trained sniffers etc., they will be mentally and physically acive, and if this dog has been abused, it just probally doesn't know the basic 'good manners' I think praise rather than scold would be my approach too. Hope it all goes well.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2008, 10:44 AM
It sounds like teenage behaviour in a high energy breed to me. Our boy has been very much like this and is only settling down now he is nearly two with lots of training. I would perhaps keep his lead on in the house so if he is being naughty you can catch him and stop him. I think they think it is a game getting one over on you. Do you take him to dog training classes or agility. Lots of toys and bones or rawhide might also help. I would think he will get better with age and training.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi!

I agree with catrinsparkles and youngstevie. Another thing is that springers can require a little more exercise than the field and cocker breeds.

Training classes can be very beneficial - our springer loves his school and has started some basic agility. Another tip we were given is to use the innate traits of the breed - eg. let him sniff out his treats or toys.

Hope you get on well with your new addition!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Agree with a lot that others have said but it's really worth stressing that Springers do require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. I see he's only one year old - energy levels can remain just as high up to seven or eight years old.

Keep us posted and......pictures please !
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Agree with a lot that others have said but it's really worth stressing that Springers do require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. I see he's only one year old - energy levels can remain just as high up to seven or eight years old.

Keep us posted and......pictures please !
I'd definitely agree with this.. i know people who keep the working type and they are a very high-energy dog. They really relish a job to do.. something that will tire them mentally and physically.. gundog training or something scent-based would probably be very useful.. i've PMed you a link to a good site!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 05:14 PM
re. how long does it take - My GSP took 3 months to look me in the eye and trust me, my GSD bonded immediately - it`s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question.
First I would say that the dog needs a quiet time to adjust. When he pinches something, ignore it. All your training should come when you are calm and in control of the situation. He will change if you let him. I think maybe you have fallen into the same trap I have in the past - of expecting him to be like the last dog - the one you worked with, lived with and trained for years! It`s so easy to forget how they were like at the start.
The outbursts of energy sound like his reaction to stress. Again - ignore them. And don`t give him the chance to bite at you - leave the confrontations till he trusts you.
I`m surprised you`re taking him to the park already. Personally, I feel he should be given more time to settle before having to cope with the outside world. With Daisy, her `walks` were across the road and back for the first few weeks, until she learned to walk on a lead!
Maybe you should all slow down and give you and the dog time to adjust?