Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
locodude
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2011, 12:51 PM

What is normal puppy behaviour?

We have a 10 week old puppy [male x-breed]-he is house trained and answers to his name[Wilf]and is generally mischevious in a puppy type way!However every evening this mischief goes up a notch and he runs round like a mad thing for approx 1 hour,becoming quite aggressive and hyper-is this normal?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Lots of pups have a witching hour where they have mad zoomies. It is normal, maybe you could save a special toy or treat just for evenings. They do grow out of it
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Count your blessings - a puppy who is housetrained at 10 weeks is a bonus.

Zoomies for an hour in the evening are quite normal and over-excited puppies (especially terriers) often get growly as its all part of play to them.

Enjoy your pup - they grow up very quickly
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I have a nine week old puppy and he does the same. It's almost as though he is so tired he doesn't know what to do with himself. They learn to cope in time.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a three-year old who does this most days at the crack of dawn and when it is time for bed!

I am still waiting for her to grow out of it...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by locodude View Post
every evening this mischief goes up a notch and he runs round like a mad thing for approx 1 hour,becoming quite aggressive and hyper-is this normal?
Aggressive no, hyper - yes.
Redirect his frustration on to a toy. Try throwing soft toys for him?
My dogs have always had a mad half hour in the evening
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with others, it's the mad half hour as I like to call it. Definitely not aggression. I take it when he is doing this he growls a lot? Totally normal play. Throw him some toys or give him a treat to chew on.
locodude
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2011, 05:15 PM
thankyou all for your advice and reassurance x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 05:25 PM
My two pups have a loopy hour every night directly after their evening meal - can't be good for their digestion, but there's no stopping them and it happens every night without fail
But there has never been any aggression at this time, unless you are talking about a young pup getting a little too 'mouthy' because of being over-excited which isn't unusual.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh I remember this very well 3 years ago Even though we have a lovely, big garden that my puppy could race around in, or play with my other dog, every single night, guaranteed at around 8pm she'd have a loony 10 mins zooming around the house like a mad thing, eyes popping out of her head sometimes!!! Nothing would quieten her down, we had to start restricting her to a small bedroom, where I could get a hold on her to try and calm her down for fear of her killing herself on something! Scarey sometimes, but it's quite normal and your puppy will soon grow out of it.

Occupy him with some mind games, some play, or a tuggy rope or something, he'll soon get it out of his system and flop down to sleep again!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >