View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I know we spent a whole night stripping the paper off it when we first moved in ready for the artexers the next day Steve! That was 20 years ago though Quite honestly, it isn't worth all the hassle of doing this that and the other, much better and much safer to just plasterboard over it all, much less hard work too and a lot less mess! That's what they did to our ceilings on the ground floor before plastering any of them and I'm glad they did that quite honestly. Mind you, having said that, it's not a cheap option either is it, and by the time you've had it boarded and then plastered you're in to quite a hefty old bill.

What test Ian? A surveyor will know everything probably just by looking at it with the age of the property etc. etc. Maybe he might need to prod it around, but he should know straight away?
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
What test Ian? A surveyor will know everything probably just by looking at it with the age of the property etc. etc. Maybe he might need to prod it around, but he should know straight away?
Hi,
There's supposed to be a test where they I think take a small piece and check whether it contains asbestos or not. It'll be expensive I would think. The council in this area can do the test in there labs, but what happens if it is confirmed there is asbestos in the artex, are you forced to replace it?

I hope that the surveyer does know his onions and differentiate the difference. Finger Crossed.

Ian
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I can tell you this Ian, if it IS asbestos it would be a horrendous cost to get rid of it!!! Horrendous!!! Our sectional garage is coming down soon as we're having the whole driveway block paved, and every single contractor who has been out to quote us, took one look at the roof and started sweating saying they wouldn't touch it coz it was asbestos! Dave knows it's only concrete, (because it was supplied AFTER the asbestos law 15 years ago!) They were adamant that it had to be specially dealt with by a special firm at a cost of £3,000!!!! Yes, that's £3,000 to take the roof away!!!! Some of them said more!!!! We're going to bury it under the new foundations for the block paving

I'm 100% sure a proper surveyor will know straight away whether it is or not. Even a test for it will be expensive I would have thought?
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes I thought the test will be expensive and to move it woould be expensive. I have seen the precautions they take when moving it. I just hope that I am worried over nothing.

Ian
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Ian, I had a water leak last year which meant an artexed ceiling in the utility room needed to be replaced, and you are right they can do test to see if it contains asbestos, mine did not and as far as I am aware it had been there since the house was built in 1977. Although in my case the insurance company would have picked up the tab, asbestos was not actually present.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ian, I had a water leak last year which meant an artexed ceiling in the utility room needed to be replaced, and you are right they can do test to see if it contains asbestos, mine did not and as far as I am aware it had been there since the house was built in 1977. Although in my case the insurance company would have picked up the tab, asbestos was not actually present.
Good job yours was ok, I think, but I'm not sure but I think this artex would have been put on a few years ago, but hopefully not!

When I think about it 1985 is a long time ago isn't it? I'm getting old ya know it's 22 years ago when I think about it, so it might be the new type of artex, hope so!

Ian
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
Hi,
what happens if it is confirmed there is asbestos in the artex, are you forced to replace it?

Ian
If the artex contains asbestos Ian-then your friend is in the same boat as everyone else with a similar aged home and she isnt obliged to have it removed.Asbestos is very safe until its disturbed so either opt for Helens method and plasterboard over the top or skim the artex with new plaster.If it was me-i'd just skim the ceilings and wouldnt even bother with having it tested.

I used to be a roofer and regulary handled old asbestos roofing sheets which were often used for garages/outbuildings etc.Provided you keep it damp with a hose and dont smash it to pieces-its safe,but disposal costs more cause its classed as hazzardous waste.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 07:49 PM
They would prefer just getting it skimmed, it would be cheaper too, however the plasterer they have seen (I think he is a friend of the family) says that if the artex is too thick it can't be skimmed, that is where the problem is. I have suggested plater boarding over the top but she is concerned about losing height, which is a bit odd in my view.

Ian
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
They would prefer just getting it skimmed, it would be cheaper too, however the plasterer they have seen (I think he is a friend of the family) says that if the artex is too thick it can't be skimmed, that is where the problem is. I have suggested plater boarding over the top but she is concerned about losing height, which is a bit odd in my view.

Ian
She'll only loose around 20mm height at best Ian if its plasterboarded-tell her not to wear high heels and she'll never notice...
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
She'll only loose around 20mm height at best Ian if its plasterboarded-tell her not to wear high heels and she'll never notice...
I would need hospital treatment if I said anything like that

She is very straight forward, no messing about with her! You don't mess with her.

Ian
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >