View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mightymite
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2005, 10:46 PM

Has anyone tried using coconut oil in their dogs food ?

Coconut oil is the "health" additive for dog diets. I am researching it and would like to know if anyone is using it presently with thier dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Mightymite grated coconut is an old remedy for roundworms and I have use coconut oil shampoo on dogs with soft coats like the cockers.

I believe coconut oil is benificial for both human and dogs and is an anitoxident, however I am not aware that it is readily available although I use coconut milk and cream in cooking and have sometimes given a little of it to my dogs.
mightymite
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Love the Schnauzer pic!

Yeah, people in the U.S. are now feeding thier dogs virgin coconut oil the way we've been all feeding flax seed and salmon oil. It seems to be a new thing . . wonder if its a passing fad or if it truly does have postitive health benefits. Was wondering if you guys in the U.K. were talking about it as well?
mightymite
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Did you notice the "virgin coconut oil" click ads that have popped up under this thread? :smt024
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by mightymite
Did you notice the "virgin coconut oil" click ads that have popped up under this thread? :smt024
Hi - yes the adverts shown are cleverly topic related, the ad 'robot' reads all the content on the page and tries to show relevant ads. Well least thats how its supposed to work
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by mightymite
Coconut oil is the "health" additive for dog diets. I am researching it and would like to know if anyone is using it presently with thier dogs.
Nope not used it but heard a fair bit about it, a lot of the well established forums for canine fresh food feeders/alternatives/supplements etc are not recommending it tho.
Meg
Supervisor

04-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
Nope not used it but heard a fair bit about it, a lot of the well established forums for canine fresh food feeders/alternatives/supplements etc are not recommending it tho.
Hi Christine have you heard of any adverse comments or reactions to coconut oil on the Barf sites ? I alway use FBO or flax oil (for dogs and myself) and would be interest to hear your views on coconut oil
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Not heard anything adverse about it, no Mini. Just not something they`d recommend. I`ve not really read the whys about it, as wasn`t that interested but if I see anything will let you know.

Defo with the flax oil tho, a lot of dogs just don`t tolerate it & there are better things, theres a list that rates the best oils, if I can find it I`ll put that on as well
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-11-2005, 08:02 AM
I have read that flax oil, used in excess, can cause bruising from the slightest knock (think it was an agility dog site). I do give mine cold-pressed flax oil as a preventative for arthritis, etc., but only a very small amount. It is not always effective according to my vet, depends on whether the body can carry it effectively - some function may prevent its efficacy.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-11-2005, 08:27 AM
* do give mine cold-pressed flax oil *

Thats another thing S/B, the quality of oils is v important & the best is cold pressed, also the way its bottled & kept, light destroys a lot of its properties so good 1`s are in dark bottles, also some should be kept refrigerated
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >