View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Bandit got his name, because according to his breeder he was the little thief in the litter

Millie was named after a friends Boxer who dies few wks before we got her..so in memory of Millie , we used the name
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
When we picked up Ben from the dogs home, his name was Billy, but I thought that didn't suit him. He just looked like a Ben

Poppy, because we decided we were having her on Armistice Day

Elaine xx
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Poppy was named after my grandad who we used to call Pop. I was going to call her Lily after my nan, but my cousin's girlfriend decided she was calling her baby Lily after our nan, so I went for Poppy instead. A lot of the time we call her Pop or Pops, sometimes Popcorn or Popsicle.

One of the Shelties we had when we were young was called Emma because my mum had wanted to call me Emma when I was born but my dad said no.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Poppy, because we decided we were having her on Armistice Day

Elaine xx
That's lovely Elaine.

When we take flowers to my grandad's (Pop) grave, we always take a poppy from our Poppy!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
That's lovely Elaine.

When we take flowers to my grandad's (Pop) grave, we always take a poppy from our Poppy!
Aww that is so nice. You know what? she really suits her name too!!! we often call her pops too! When she was toilet training it was Poopy
Elaine xxx
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Jago is so called because when we got him he was a very creamy colour. At the same time a new cream liquer called Jago had been made in Shetland. The liquer was pronounced "Yago" which I didn't like to we kept the pronunciation as the word looks.
I have my name on a waiting list for a HWV bitch. I have 2 little boys, a husband, male dog, male cat, a male rabbit, a male hamster etc etc so I really really want a bitch next time!! The name I have chosen for her, whenever on earth the time eventually comes, is Lanny which is taken from the Hungarian for 'girl'
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, all my dogs - so far - have been Orkney-born. Until about 500 years ago, Orkney was a "province" of the Norway/Denmark empire, so an old Norse name seemed appropriate for Kali. The trouble is that many of the old Norse names are still used by people, up here (Magnus, Sigurd, Rognvald, etc. ), and we didn't want anyone to think we were taking the Mick. I had more-or-less settled on Rognvald, but I looked in Orkneyinga Saga, and discovered that Earl Rognvald had been born Kali Kolsson, so the puppy got that as his name.

Having read Orkneyinga Saga, I got enticed into the other Icelandic sagas, where I found the names Snorri the Priest and Thorgeir the Lawsayer. Snorri was a proper "fixer", and Thorgeir had the casting vote that led Iceland to Christianity. He was also a buddy of the original Snorri.

A bit abstruse, perhaps, but there aren't a lot of dogs with the same names, to get confused with!

Snorri
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
My OH came up with Pepper because she is black and it's the kind of dog name you don't feel silly shouting across the park, and boy have I had some practice at that!

My daughter picked Gozo, it's one of the Maltese Islands, my Dad's Maltese and we had just got back from a holiday there when we picked him up.

OH picked Enzo, he'd really wanted to call Gozo that but had been out-voted. It means giant in Italian so it's ironic, in'it. It's also a character in "The Big Blue" a film he is very fond of (played by Jean Reno, an actor I am rather fond of ). I thought what an unusual name for a dog but it has been pointed out that there is a book about a dog called Enzo!!!

Although I say the other's picked them I have always resered the casting vote as I'm the one who does the majority of the walking, training etc so I'm the one that has to use it the most!

J
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Aww that is so nice. You know what? she really suits her name too!!! we often call her pops too! When she was toilet training it was Poopy
Elaine xxx
lol we still do call Poppy "poopy" sometimes and we say "Poppy do poopy" - she must wander what on earth we're on about!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Rico was found tied to a lampost in Enrico Street.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >