Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Showing a bitch in season?

Hi,
Thought this may be interesting,what are your thoughts?

I know people that have done this and to be honest,don't think it is at all fair on the dogs especially if they have to share a ring with the bitches.
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Personnaly I wouldn't do it.
It's not fair on others with dogs or bitches as far as that goes but also the little mite herself. Who want to having to concentrate on stuff when your moody and bleeding and all she'll want to to is to have fun, if you know what I mean?

I don't think it's very nice for the judge either, or the steward if they have mess to clean up after her being in the ring as I'm sure there will be blood drops.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I did take a bitch in season to Crufts, but she was nearly over it and she was well sprayed with everything available, and full of deodorising tablets. Glad I did take her cos she was at ther best, really on her toes and got the RCC, -- but full in season, then No. Kath
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't do it because I show dogs too and I know how they can just throw their chances away if they get a sniff of something interesting. One of my boys goes totally out of control, I can't stand him or anything, he just stiffens up and just won't concentrate on me.
I also wouldn't do it as I fear the bitch could be susceptical (sp) to infection if her vulva is open.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I've shown both sexes and never showed a bitch in season. It's not fair on others who are showing their dogs.
As I am currently showing a dog, it annoys me if people are selfish and show their bitches in season. Only last weekend my boy would not lift his head off the floor, why because there had been a bitch in season. To show a bitch in season, a) is desperate, there's enough shows in the year to go to b) unsportsmanlike and selfish.
The general excuse I've heard from people is that bitches are at a disadvantage as they have their seasons which can put them out at shows for two months of the year. My answer, tough, you decided to get a bitch so you accept they will have their seasons. I did and played fair. To show a bitch in season is to try and win at all costs and to hell with the other people who have paid their hard earned cash.
I wish the KC would add the rule to showing as they have to agility and I believe Obedience and not allow bitches in season to be entered. Why because the dogs are offlead and it wouldn't be fair. These are activities where there is one dog in the ring. How is it for showing then when you get large numbers of the breed in the small confines of a ring.
At champ shows the excuse is that dogs go in before bitches. Maybe so but that doesn't help if your going on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day of a show, and bitches in seasons have been peeing in and around the ring. The scent lasts more than a day
My dog showed an interest in my bitch a week before she even came into season so showing at the beginning of their season or at the end still causes problems. The sprays etc. do not have 100% protection either when it comes to some dogs.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Although I only show my boys now I have in the past shown both males and females and I would never show a bitch in season I can recall taking my male dachshund into the ring after a bitch in the previous class was in season and his nose was to the gound all the way round and really spoiled his chances. So personally I think it is very unfair of anyone to do this.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
To be honest, you may of booked your bitch into a class well before a show and paid etc beforehand.
Some also come into season at the pure sight of the excitement of the occassion. There is also the bitch that doesnt 'show' any signs but is in season to a male.
Dont think it fair to judge every bitch in season in a ring in my opinion.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
I wouldnt personally show a bitch in season, as I think it is unfair to other dogs and exhibitors.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
To be honest, you may of booked your bitch into a class well before a show and paid etc beforehand.
Some also come into season at the pure sight of the excitement of the occassion. There is also the bitch that doesnt 'show' any signs but is in season to a male.
Dont think it fair to judge every bitch in season in a ring in my opinion.
I do see what your saying Luz, except for going to a show you'd already entered. My bitch had funny seasons and even though I paid (a couple champshows) I didn't take her as she came in season unexpectedly. Again to be fair to others
Otherwise I think it's the people that know the bitch is in season and still take them along regardless that makes people mad. Honest mistakes happen and this I can understand. It's when people say to me when I go in a mixed class "oh don't stand behind her, she's in season" that annoy me. They obviously know their dog is in
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 09:49 AM
NO here from me ......its unfair on all the others that have paid as well ..plus the health side would worry me picking up an infection would bother me more
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >