View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Ben would still poo in the house at 4.5 months old... Now at 6+ months old there's never any accidents... I thought he'd never learn...
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I think they are all different . I have had the same breed of pup one was house trained very early and the other was still having accidents at 6 months old .
fatbelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks to all for the advice and replies.
I feel a lot better after reading your advice.

I was beginning to think we had a problem but now realise everything is OK.
fatbelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
We have taken on board everything that people have posted and since yesterday morning we have gone back to basics and treating Murphy like a 8 week old Pup and taking him out in the back garden every hour plus his three walks a day plus taking him in the back whenever he wakes or has a drink or finishes playing a game.

This is working because we have had no accidents in the last 30 hours which I know isn't a long time but is much better than the three wees he did in the house on Saturday.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by fatbelly View Post
We have taken on board everything that people have posted and since yesterday morning we have gone back to basics and treating Murphy like a 8 week old Pup and taking him out in the back garden every hour plus his three walks a day plus taking him in the back whenever he wakes or has a drink or finishes playing a game.

This is working because we have had no accidents in the last 30 hours which I know isn't a long time but is much better than the three wees he did in the house on Saturday.
excellent FB

I look at house training this way...
A puppy can learn to relieve itself in a designated place (most would naturally prefer to do so away from where they eat and sleep) and it will also be stimulated to do so by smells of earth and previous deposits, so outside in the garden is an ideal place to take a puppy.

As a puppy regularly uses the same place to relieve itself, this becomes a habit which can be reinforced with praise (and for some a treat) until it becomes a well learnt and consistent behaviour. The less times a puppy soils in the house the better, you don't want this to become a habit.

A puppy is physically unable to control its bodily functions until it reaches a certain stage of maturity (after 16 weeks of age ), so until that time it is the owners job to think for the puppy and pre empt its actions preventing it from relieving itself in the house and giving it every opportunity to relieve itself in the place it will be using for its whole life .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2