Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Rawfeeding - getting the timings right

Loui has always been fine through the night but the last 'bout' of colitis has really mucked his routine up (he was up through the night with it) and its a job getting back to normal. Normally I could have fed him at 9.30pm and he would sleep right through until 6am (if not much later) but now he is up at 3am he just goes and does his business then back to bed but obviously this isnt practical, I tried changing his last feeding time around to see what happened and basically it seems like its five hours from feeding that he needs out. So, a feed in the morning, then a feed at 4pm to go out for last walk at 9pm then home at 9.30pm but that isnt always going to be practical - any suggestions?

Any foods that take a bit longer to digest (but still fed raw)?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:26 PM
c'mon folks as Im at a bit of a loss here (taking him out later between 9 & 10 is ok now but.....

Also, I cant really feed him everything in the morning as he wouldnt be ready to eat it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Is he more disturbed/moving about in the night?

It could just be a habit he has got himself into - could you just get up at that time then every night 1/2 an hour later until he learns to hold it again?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Is he more disturbed/moving about in the night?

It could just be a habit he has got himself into - could you just get up at that time then every night 1/2 an hour later until he learns to hold it again?
Well after that 'bout' I let it go on a little while as I couldnt tell if he was always ok then found out in daylight that he was, and he consistently was. So I thought it was just habit. Then when that was ok I tried that (making him go back to bed) but he really was bursting and nearly had an accident a couple of times so I know he is actually needing so I cant really make him 'hold on' longer. So then I tried moving his feeding times around and it seems pretty consistent that he now needs the toilet about 5 hours after feeding. Therefore I'm not sure what to do (other than stay up late to feed him and be knackered in the morning lol)

I know he would last longer with cooked food but he really does do best on raw and I dont want to sacrifice that or mess his belly around with loads of changes....so I'm not really sure why or what else I could do?

Anyone else ever had this problem?

oh, hes not more disturbed until he needs out
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Have you tried adding liquidised raw veg/fruit to his dinner? (as in BARF rather than RMB style raw feeding).

My sister has always done the BARF and I recently took a leaf out of her book and tried adding some liquidised raw to Merlin's food... mainly to bulk it out as he could do with losing a little weight.

I am actually surprised at the difference - he would often have mucous in his poo (mild colitis) but not since getting the veg. So you could always try that if you haven't already.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
tbh I thought as his poo's have been looser in the past with veg that adding it may actually make him go faster lol I couldnt handle that! I might as well give it a try though!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:57 PM
needless to say I'm putting his walk off later tonight in the hope.....and of course he is sleeping all curled up already!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 09:54 AM
how come you cant feed him earlier if you dont mind me asking? i feed mine at half 8 9 in the morning and about 6 half 6 at night.

if im going out they get a walk in the morning for half an hour, and half an hour when i get back around 5. they go out in the garden during the day for toilet, and the last time they get let out before bed is about half 10, which means their food has had time to settle and come out so to speak, and then they sleep through to 8 at the latest (with the pup, daph is quite happy to lie about until you tell her to get up )
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
how come you cant feed him earlier if you dont mind me asking? i feed mine at half 8 9 in the morning and about 6 half 6 at night.

if im going out they get a walk in the morning for half an hour, and half an hour when i get back around 5. they go out in the garden during the day for toilet, and the last time they get let out before bed is about half 10, which means their food has had time to settle and come out so to speak, and then they sleep through to 8 at the latest (with the pup, daph is quite happy to lie about until you tell her to get up )
Just because if I start feeding him earlier than four (say 3.00pm) its ok for a while but means that if I get home later, he will be back to the same problem. Once a week I wont be in until 4.30pm/5pm
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Right now the only thing I can think of is to make his feed earlier and then once a week give him a cooked meal for his 'late' dinner, as then he would last but I just prefer him eating raw and dont want to muck him about if I dont have to....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >