Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:23 PM

Does dry food go off?

My puppy has decided that he would rather starve than eat his dry food, he ate it fine for near enough 4 weeks, and has gone through a 7.5kg bag, always mixed with canned food right enough. Now he won't touch it, if i put so much as a handful of dry in with a tin, it gets left.

he is a skinny wee guy so I have decided just to give him the wet food just now tiil he has some reserves before trying him with the dry again.

Thing is I have just opened another 7.5kg bag, will it go off? It's resealable, but it'll probably sit for a few weeks now.

It's Hills puppy for large breeds, there's nothing on the pack to tell me how long it can be opened for.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:28 PM
As far as I know it does go off (it has an expiry date) but when opened it ends up getting drier and crumbly if left too long. If you can cryovac it or do your best to seal it with as little air as possible it should last better
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes, dry food can go off once opened. It is best to keep it in the original bag, reclosed the best you can and then inside an air tight container.

You may want to reevaluate ''skinny wee guy''. He may be lean and healthy as compared to the common overweight dogs. If you can't see his ribs, don't worry about fattening him up. Most dogs will eat all they need of a dry kibble without anything else added.

What does your vet say?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2009, 02:27 PM
He has been too thin since we got him, the vet has said each visit that he is too thin, i can feel his spine and although you can't see his ribs because he's fluffy when i gave him a bath i could see them. The vet said to feed him 4 times a day, and recommended the hills.

I have tried the dry food on its own, but if it's any more than 50/ 50 wet/dry he won't eat it- now he won't eat it at all.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:06 PM
One of mine is really fussy and as a puppy went off his dry food. Everyone said he will eat when hungry etc, leave it down for 10-15 mins etc then move it. Nothing worked, he has always been a fussy dog and I am sure would virtually starve himself rather than eat what he doesn't like.

He is on Naturediet (complete wet) and he loves it and they do a puppy version xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I have ordered the naturediet puppy, should come tomorrow.
Will change from the winalot puppy he's been on since he was weaned.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I have ordered the naturediet puppy, should come tomorrow.
Will change from the winalot puppy he's been on since he was weaned.
I hope he likes it xxxx My two pups since then have been brought up on it and loved it xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fingers crossed your lovely boy likes it too xxxxxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 06:14 PM
is he teething just now? if he is, his mouth may be a wee bit tender, sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water untill its soft can help.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2009, 06:53 PM
If the problem was it had gone off, I wouldn't change food. At least buy smaller bags and keep it sealed up.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
is he teething just now? if he is, his mouth may be a wee bit tender, sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water untill its soft can help.
He's 13 weeks old and chewing everything so i imagine so, however, he doesn't try it and leave it- he smells it and leaves it if it has the dry in it.

Labman, i don't think the food has gone off, I was just wondering if it would go off if I didn't use it for a while.

I'm changing foods as i was happy with him on the winalot mixed with dry but not on its own.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >