Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Help with Fleas..

Hello,

Im wondering if anyone could giove me some advice.

My mums 9 year old Yorkie JackRussell croos has been very bad lately.

He has fleas but its not just this that is the problem, over the last few weeks he is scratching that much his skin is red raw, he is bleeding a little, has lumps everywhere and now is getting bald patches.

She has been trying everything from flea sprays, drops, collars... nothing seems to work.

I have bought him several different creams and lotions from the Pet shop trying to ease the soreness and heal it up to no avail.

My mum has done everything to get rid of the flea and is in great distress about it.
We thing the problem may be the cat, she goes out into the grass and socilises with other cats and bring fleas back everytime we get rid of them

Are there any brands/types of flea killers you reccomend?

I would also like to know if there are any particular types of creams/ remedys you reccomend that will help the little dog heal his back?

Poor little thing isnt sleeping he is tormented that much, so you can imagine he is getting a bit snappy with it...

We are going to the vet too to seek advice, yet wanted to know advice for the mean time.

Thanks all.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes it probably is best to take him to the vet Kye cos it sounds like he will need some antibiotics in case his skin has got infected with scratching and he will probably put him on a course of Prednisolone tablets which will help to stop the scratching. He might need some Frontline on the back of his neck too to kill the fleas off - you can get this from the vet too - they don't sell it in petshops and the ones you can get in petshops are nowhere near as good.

Which vets do you go to?
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 03:44 PM
I dont know the name of the Vets, my mum goes to the one in Shaw, as it is her local one.

Do you think the vet would also sell her frontline for her other dog and cat too, as I suppose they will need treating also...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
I dont know the name of the Vets, my mum goes to the one in Shaw, as it is her local one.

Do you think the vet would also sell her frontline for her other dog and cat too, as I suppose they will need treating also...
Yes I think so because it would be in the dogs best interests to get all the other animals treated too. Good luck
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Your mum will also have to ask for flea treatment for the house and furnishings too as the fleas larvae are in the carpets. Tell her not to forget to do all around the skirting boards and all the rooms where the cats and dog go. Once you get rid of the flea problem the dogs skin should heal pretty quickly. Some dogs just react more to flea bites than others do. Good Luck
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I think you should ask the vet for program plus flea treatment as it sterlises the flea - so even with recontamination the flea cant multiply once on the skin of the dog - therefore any new fleas will not breed.

This can be used to treat all the animals - frontline only kills them once on - it doesnt deal with the contamination from other things. As far as the house ios concerned it needs fleabombed probably to completely clear them and then start with the program plus so any new fleas will die.

dani
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will certainly make sure I remind her to get flea treatment for the house, although I think flea bombs are out, as she is looking after my snake (im moving home) and a flea bomb would kill her.

I will enquire about program plus too!

Cheers guys
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear this. Along with a flea treatment the vet might also prescribe antibiotics for infection or a short course of steroids for inflammation/itching or both.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Have a read of this: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Just a bit of caution dont put any more flea treatments on until you have been to the vet he could be sensitive and that could be making matters worse. I hope you get it sorted soon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >