View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Foxes are a pest - we have an urban fox living somewhere in close vicinity to our house. Danny obvious smells it and goes mental when he's out for his pee at night. Good tips from everyone though and I hope you manage to keep foxy away
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I can imagine that urban foxes must a real pest, i know that a lot of councils do struggle to deal with them. They are very beautiful though.. I wached the pair that live down the road rear a litter of cubs last year, they became very used to me watching the den, it was a real priviledge to watch the cubs. Unusually, the male of the pair has been around here for the last 4y, we can spot him as he has the tip of one ear missing, he lost his mate 2y ago when she was killed on the road, but has now paired up with the little vixen that wanted to eat our guinea pigs. Apparently the average age of a fox is only 18m.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
That's so sweet Abbey

They are a real pest but like you, I quite like them

Before we got Archie there was a young fox that used to come into our garden in broad daylight and nap on my mum's flowebeds, squashing them all He was really sweet, we called him Herbert

Now we have the dogs it's different, cos the puppies cause such a riot whenever they see a fox!
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm speaking as someone who would probably encourage a fox if there was one in my garden. I think they're lovely. Could you maybe take the dogs out into the garden (on a lead obviously) when the fox is there, just to scare it enough to discourage it?

I do this to keep cats and squirrels out of the garden (not because I don't like cats and squirrels, but just because it's safer for them if they avoid my back-garden!) and it seems to work on them.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2006, 06:24 PM
What my cousin does is to keep a supply of "Jumping Jack" Chinese crackers, which she throws at the foxes which turn up occasionally. The fusillade of bangs scares them off pretty quickly. However, she lives in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbours to complain

Snorri
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Minda it doesn't get scared at all! that's the problem!

The dogs run right into the middle of the garden and bark their heads off and the fox parades around the back wall as if it was saying "haha! you can't get me up here!"

It's a bit scary

Snorri that's a good idea but we would definitely get lynched
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
If the Foxes are entering your garden by going over a wall Tuti-try this...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=0&y=0
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
How can I keep foxes out of our back garden?
Tell me where you live Tuti, I have 3 little friends that will solve your problem!
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Steve, got that "prikka strips" all round my garden to keep my Cats IN, I was told it works, it dont!! One of mine does the "I can walk on the nail bed" act at least twice a day. It is inexpensive and a bit of a deterrent though and it DOES hurt your hands if you hang off it, so would be nosey parkers wouldnt be so likely to peek over.
Dawn.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 07:26 PM
aww im sorry the fox is upsetting your babes and i hope you all the luck into resolving the problem,my boys love to watch the foxes at night we have about 10 on the field outside the house and since i was little have been watching them come and go over the years no one bothers these beautiful animals yes ok they are vermin but as each and every animal has the right to live where it wants best of luck tuti
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >