Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I also wouldn't be put off by the RSPCA form. They will probably want an assurance that you're landlord is ok with you having a dog and that you are prepared to exercise the dog outside the garden if the garden is small, but most reputable rescues will want to know that sort of thing. It's nothing to worry about.
and wouldn'y most reputable breeders want to know this also?? try lab rescue loads of them here

http://www.bing.com/search?q=lab+res...ox&Form=IE8SRC
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 04:05 PM
. Garden sure comes in handy for toilet training the size doesnt really matter a dog can be trained to go to an actual spot in the garden to do its business. If you did not have one life could be difficult from that side.

. I agree you should get it in writting that you can have a dog, get it all official then start planning the other stuff

. You don't have to get a rescue! Iif you want a puppy go with your choice though its a good idea to check out rescues as they have often have young dogs/puppies which you could get at a much cheaper price. Its a good feeling to adopt!

. the downside to owning a rescue pup is that it is likely to have had no training and will probably be more hard work depending on its age. If you got an older dog you may not be sure of its background and how it was treated, rescue dogs can have serious behavior problems that might not be known till the dog has settled. It should also be known that Rescues can also take a long time to settle.

. The good side to getting a rescue is you pay half as much, you feel good for giving a dog a second home and you could have a rescue that has no behavior problems at all! This is why its important to get rescue dogs from well known recomended centres that go to the trouble of assessing the dog before it goes up for adoption.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
Thank you for the replies.

In answer to a few questions.

We're in Cannock, Staffordshire.

We would consider a rescue dog but I know rescues are more picky on who the dog goes to, which I can understand. I had a look at the RSPCA form for taking on a dog and they want garden measurements and want to know whether you own your own home etc all of which would go against us I'm sure. Not sure how much info other rescues want before deciding but yes a rescue dog would be perfectly fine.

If we did go for puppy age we'd be looking for one with some sort of toilet training already.

I would have to be the one to provide the exercise which I'm fine with. I could do with getting out a bit more and losing some weight. I realise this means that come rain or shine I would still be going out. The advantage of being at home most of the time is that I could pop out for walks at various time of the day.

I have no experience of grooming so I don't know what's involved?

I've experienced labrador hair. Whenever the inlaws bring their labrador over it leaves black hair everywhere but our cat is a long haired and that leaves white hair everywhere so something we're unfortunately used to. The first time I woke up in the night with cat hair up my nose and in my mouth I wasn't impressed but it's something you get used to
I'm afraid you won't find a puppy that comes toilet trained. Labs are pretty easy to toilet train in my experience and as you are home all of the time, it shouldn't be much of a hardship to get a pup clean. Just stock up on paper towels and a good disinfectant and you will be fine.

Grooming is minimal for the breed. A good brush with a slicker type comb every week or so is enough to keep their coat looking good. As you already know, they are heavy shedders and shed 24/7. A couple of times a year they also 'blow' their coat, where they shed excessively and the hair literally falls out as you touch it (this is normal!). You'll have to have the hoover on stand-by when they blow their coats.

With regard to exercise needs, you'd be looking at roughly an hour and a half of walking per day for an adult Labrador.
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 04:33 PM
This is all a great help, thank you everyone. Training classes hadn't even crossed my mind, so another area to look in to.

Although my other half has doggy experience I'm trying to avoid discussing it with her so as to not get her hopes up. With her being disabled she would have very little involvement so I need to be comfortable with everything that needs doing.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Some one already said that you will need to fence off your pond, I saw you also keep turtles and these will need to be kept where the dog can not get to them as the dog will think they are walking chew toys!
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I've just had a word with the other half and she's not dead set on a labrador. She was actually thinking of something smaller but "not yappy".
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I've just had a word with the other half and she's not dead set on a labrador. She was actually thinking of something smaller but "not yappy".
To be honest then, go to your nearest reputable rescue, and prepare to fall in love, make sure that the dogs been assesed properly and you probably won't go far wrong, if you can find one that fosters rather than has kennels all the better, there are loads of dogs out there that probably fit this bill perfectly
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 05:13 PM
maybe have a stroll around the rescue centers and see if one takes your fancy?? usually you'll see the dog and know it's the one
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2012, 05:18 PM
If we did the see what takes our fancy route at a rescue then we'd have to have some basics in place at home ready in case something really did take our fancy. What would those basics need to be?

Are dogs like cats where they need to be gradually weaned onto different food over a few days?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 06:03 PM
If we did the see what takes our fancy route at a rescue then we'd have to have some basics in place at home ready in case something really did take our fancy. What would those basics need to be?

Are dogs like cats where they need to be gradually weaned onto different food over a few days?
Some say yes, I've never done it, and my dogs dont get sick. but then I feed several different brands and canned, dehydrated, raw, and kibble, something different every meal, so my dogs dont ever get an upset tummy
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »