View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Cesar says only reward calm submissive energy/state so maybe he said do not reward excitement.

there was one episode, basic problem (not aggression)dog responded well & fast to CM methods & the owner was not allowed to praise the good ,
she was not alowed to praise the good calm behaviour. but they just waited (which of course happened , because the good stuff was not praised) for the dog to go wrong again.

What a shame eh? Awful awful training
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Do not tell your husband but your dog knows who wears the trousers! Or probably just you have a more assertive energy when you are with the dog.
Actually it's the opposite way round. My husbands assertiveness frightens my dog at times. He's military and his stance and the way he barks out orders are TOO assertive for Rupe a lot of the time.

Cesar says only reward calm submissive energy/state so maybe he said do not reward excitement.
If I remember rightly (it's been a long time seen I've been able to watch CM) the dog was walking calmly by the owner and she asked if she could at least tell him h e was a good boy, the answer was no. Cesar would HATE me I think. I'm happy for my dog to be excited and enthusiastic while training and will reward if he gets it right regardless of how excited he is.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Most new people say hello, post photos of their dogs, chat, get to know us....
Then there are the attention seekers.
I never knew so many dog lovers were so bitchy!

Ever heard of free will and each to their own?

Talk about pack hierarchy!

You have just bitten!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

If you really are in Thailand then I don't suppose you can do too much more harm to the dogs than would be their lot anyway.
You are insane. Do you think someone would pretend that they lived somewhere they did not because they thought it sounded exotic and would impress some faceless forum members! ? You think I get up at 3am to carry on the pretence! ? I suppose you also think that the NGC and CM are part of a global plot to make people poke their dogs! ! ! You are right about one thing though, our dogs are probably the luckiest in Phuket.
OTOH how brilliant would it be if you could actually understand what is really happening and try and pass that knowledge on to other people in your country----if indeed it is your country? Shame you are unable to do that.
Yes, the natives should really have the benefit of the Anglo-saxon superior way of being.

I rehomed a couple of dogs from Thailand recently so I have a good idea of the usual conditions they live in.
I commend you for that although most dogs I see here are balanced, albeit a bit hungry
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Actually it's the opposite way round. My husbands assertiveness frightens my dog at times. He's military and his stance and the way he barks out orders are TOO assertive for Rupe a lot of the time. .
Interesting. One of the thais I have helping me has a very aggressive manner and the dogs do not want to go out a walk with her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I have sometimes thought about that. In my case the dog when a puppy probably thought I was no leader of him because I can not jump up and make him stop doing something. I was able to get the message across with energy though. I think dogs are different to wolves , when Cesar's pitbull Daddy was 16 he still was pack leader. I think what dogs grow up thinking stays with them. My dog was taught a lesson by a few dogs when he was a puppy and, although he could probably give them a lesson now, he still gives them a wide berth now. I think my dog loves me too much to want to take over.
So many contradictions here. First of all, you equate dog behaviour to their ancestors, but only when it suits - they behave much differently when the 'theory' doesn't fit. You emulate dog behaviour to gain 'status', but then tell us your dog loves you too much to want to take over that 'status' from you.

The dominance theory falls down in so many ways, but when the anomalies are pointed out, excuses, often quite intricate, are made to make it fit.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Are you Thai?

rune
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Ben Mcfuzzylugs;2320953]But if he thought it was wrong then why put it on the show?? That is a big problem I see with him - I dont think he thought he did anything wrong[/QUOTE

Blame the NGC
How do children do that then? would you have a child apha roll a dog?
Of course not. Cesar has a few episodes about this. Basically the parents, pack leader, make it clear to the dogs that they can not come within 2m of the baby and the dogs then see the baby as pack leader too. I do not know but that is what the devil says. I know that my dogs completely ignore toddlers and babies. They know not to go anywhere near them.
put simply dogs do stuff and what happens next shapes the likelyhood of them trying the thing again
so if something nice happens then they are more likely to do it again
If something nasty happens they are less likely to try it again
also if nice thing happen they are more likely to try different things, be more confident and actually become smarter
I could not agree more
how natural is that? The RELATED cubs would NOT become the dom - because that would mean breeding with a parent
They took 5 cubs that had been raised in captivity in Canada and they flew them to Yellowstone where they met 2 adult wolves. In the new pack, one of the 8 months cubs immediately became pack leader.
perhaps not dominant at all just shy and hasnt learnt good doggy comunication? It takes confidence to submit to a stranger - if you are scared you will fight for your life
You may well be right but he was the dominant dog in his litter.

yes dogs like to run with fast stuff
but I dont see any animals in the wild just running and wasting valuable energy just for the h£ll of it - not a good survival strategy
but they do not sit in an apartment all day either

[QUOTE]
He isnt the 1st person to say that, I kinda believe you get the dog you get - deal with it
[/QUOTE
Or we have so many issues that any dog will teach us something!

what did you do then?
Purely exercise and rules boundaries and limitations
do you feed your dog? if you want to go into natural things then in the wild no animal just gets food for free, in many zoos now they make the animals work for their food and they are all much happier
My dogs work for their food
Always after the morning walk and then after we have eaten in the evening.
and food isnt the only way I 'control' my dogs They can run a full agility round without a scrap of food
they come back when I call them because they like being around me - sometimes I give them food, sometimes I play with a toy, sometimes I am going a different path, sometimes I want to show them something they might find interesting
In the car when we are ready to leave or change direction we just do it, as the pack leader dog would. When I call them, likewise, they come because they want to be with us. That is part of the 'job' the dogs have, to pay attention to where we are going.

You really should look into clicker training - yes it is rewarding the dog - not ness with food although thats what I use - but the clicker means you can reward the exact second the dog does the right thing so things are clearer and they understand faster
I have Motor Neurone disease so I physically can not but I think it is a great idea. I will try to get my wife to learn!

given the choice why do you pick the meaner way? we are not dogs, why not use our bigger brains to train? isnt that more natural than trying to copy another species
Because I am very imobile and my wife is very soft, the dog was out of control. There is no concept of training in Asia and although my Filipina wife tried it was not helping. She could not ever hit a dog but once she accepted that we HAD to have rules boundaries and limitations, things started to get better. Before watching Cesar she thought it was cruel to not let the dog do whatever it wanted. We may be an exception, but without Cesar, our once biting dog would be dead by now
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Are you Thai?

rune
Scottish, many here like everywhere
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I have a Virtual Private Network/UK IP address. Do you want me to use my local IP address when I am on this site mum?
Yes.

And less of the attitude.
Page 44 of 49 « First < 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 > Last »