Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I'm sure its not When my OH or I are loading the dishwasher we have to watch the dogs. One of them especially will leap onto the open door given half the chance to lick the plates
What kind of dog do I have??? Mine wouldn't jump over a sock if it was in the way
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
What kind of dog do I have??? Mine wouldn't jump over a sock if it was in the way

And mine looks really miffed if I start the washing machine up - she doesn't like noisy appliances! No fear of her getting in a dishwasher if I did have one anyway as she has a morbid fear of crockery!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Ollie our previous Bernese was to big to get in the dishwasher but he did constantly get his head in when loading it.

On a serious note it sounds like he is being a rough puppy and needs to learn some boundaries. Stopping games if he gets too rough time outs and positive training. Our nearly 2 year old 8 stone Bernese plays rough and we stop the games. He is slowly learning.
When he is being calm and quiet praise him lots. We tend to forget too do this. A respected member here once said this to someone and its one thing that always sticks with me. When they are being good and calm we tend to ignore it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Wise advice Lynn. It's easy to just forget they are there when they are behaving as you want them to.

I used to give the same advice to parents who I thought raised their kids as if they were in the army. It's not good parenting just to keep them clean and fed and point out where they go wrong all the time or tell them off for doing something wrong and make sure they do their homework etc. You have to dish out the cuddles, fun and the praise in at least EQUAL measure!
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Is he from a single colour working cocker stock?
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't think this is aggression, he is just being a puppy who can turn into a monster when overtired or needing to have a pee/poo. As you say after being crated for chill out times he returns to normal. As this is a working bred cocker are you giving him mental as well as physical exercise?

If he is given access to places like the sofa or dishwasher without learning commands like off/leave/sit/wait etc you are setting him up to fail.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi Springboard - I used to have this problem with my dog, it's always in the early evening after the last walk of the day. It's much better now but could easily be triggered again. I am almost 99% sure this is not aggression, I think it's over-playful.
I concur - I have had a couple of puppies who went through a stage of going utterly bonkers in the evening and "attacking" me. It was over excited play, not aggression for sure. (We even had a cat who did it). I hope that is the same with yours (although it was still a pain in the backside to have to suffer it, and it HURT!!)

Hopefully it is a phase that you can get over with consistent training and trying to keep the situation calm, as other posters have suggested. Standing up and ignoring them - even leaving the room for a few moments - always seems to work best. They are not in the right state to listen to reprimands when they are like that in my experience, so telling them off just fuels it. Folding your arms and turning your back on them (and looking upset) is much more effective.

Good luck.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I too found that yelping, shouting, screeching just made my boy so much worse if I made a noise I'm sure he thought I'd got into the "spirit of things" and his behaviour would just escalate, it was only by turning my back and folding my arms did he start to realise "hang on - that's not what I wanted at all" and he'd calm down. My one is weighs about 25 kilos has a massive jaw and hurts like crazy when he decides to playfully nip!

Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
I concur - I have had a couple of puppies who went through a stage of going utterly bonkers in the evening and "attacking" me. It was over excited play, not aggression for sure. (We even had a cat who did it). I hope that is the same with yours (although it was still a pain in the backside to have to suffer it, and it HURT!!)

Hopefully it is a phase that you can get over with consistent training and trying to keep the situation calm, as other posters have suggested. Standing up and ignoring them - even leaving the room for a few moments - always seems to work best. They are not in the right state to listen to reprimands when they are like that in my experience, so telling them off just fuels it. Folding your arms and turning your back on them (and looking upset) is much more effective.

Good luck.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-09-2013, 07:39 PM
I also found and still find the yelping just escalates the behaviour more.
Walking away doing something else is far more productive.
I have a 50+kg 22 month old pup who is still learning the boundaries and play does hurt when it gets rough.
It is not aggression it is over excitement and sometimes being over tired and learning what's acceptable and what's not.
Time and consistency is what's needed. Dillon is being taught when play gets too rough and mouthing gets painful we move away end game and tell him verbally game over. It is slowly working. As said in my previous post when he is calm and quiet he gets lots of fuss and told nice boy, calm boy.
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I also have a working springer cocker cross. I find she bites me if she is over exited and that is ok if she in biting me in rough play, during which we wrestle. I am no expert, but try putting the dog out of the room if he is biting you and when his teeth touch your skin shout out something like 'ouch' or 'no'. If it is aggression I would strongly advise getting a trainer- or getting one anyway, as Izzy's behaviour improved so much with a stronger bond and mental exercise. Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >