View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear Archie hasn't seemed to have inmproved much. My gut instinct would be they damaged that leg during the operation!!! They splay them out don't they, maybe they "splayed" them a bit too far causing muscle or whatever damage to one of his legs. If I were you I'd get an x-ray done to rule that one out! Don't tell me you went to that animal hospital where I had all those problems with Zena's spey???? That'd be interesting!!! Good luck, but an x-ray wouldn't go amiss in my view!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Hello Stranger
Poor Archie, I think I agree with H to be honest, it does sound as though he sustained some form of injury while at the vets for his op.
Hope the poor boy perks up soon
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear Archie hasn't seemed to have inmproved much. My gut instinct would be they damaged that leg during the operation!!! They splay them out don't they, maybe they "splayed" them a bit too far causing muscle or whatever damage to one of his legs. If I were you I'd get an x-ray done to rule that one out! Don't tell me you went to that animal hospital where I had all those problems with Zena's spey???? That'd be interesting!!! Good luck, but an x-ray wouldn't go amiss in my view!
Sorry to hear Archie's got problems since his castration. The back legs are splayed out as suggested above and are usually hyperflexed. It sounds like Archie has either suffered a muscle probelm or even a slight dislocation. He could have had an underlying problem that hadn't reared itself until now but I would certainly insist the vet who operated sees Archie and explains themselves in case it was caused by the surgery. Whilst it is uncommon, sometimes older dog shave a slight personality change after surgery which is why many vets recommend neutering up to one year. Do you mind me asking what the reason was for castrating at the age of 4? Just interested, obviously not to start issues on ages for neutering. Hope he improves soon and please keep us informed xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for your replies. My decision to neuter Archie in particular was due to "daily" ejaculation, and recently there were signs of blood in the semem too.

He had become highly sexed towards Harvey and each day both were trying to mount each other. He had on occassions tried to mount other dogs whilst out and his recall because of this had become unacceptable.

After visits and several consultations with vets, breeder other cavalier owners I decided to have them both neutered ( both 4 years old).

The vet decided yesterday to continue with the Rimaydl for 4-5 days, by increasing the dose to one and a half tabs.

H, I wont name the vet on the forum but I dont believe it to be the same practice, and have been satisfied with this vet for nearly 16 years.

I spoke to the vet who operated on Archie yesterday and she admitted the hip could have been aggrevated while castrating. She also mentioned there were signs of blood behind the penis.

In a few days if the hip has not improved we will definately go the x ray route.

Thanks again xx
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Thanks for your replies. My decision to neuter Archie in particular was due to "daily" ejaculation, and recently there were signs of blood in the semem too.
He had become highly sexed towards Harvey and each day both were trying to mount each other. He had on occassions tried to mount other dogs whilst out and his recall because of this had become unacceptable.

After visits and several consultations with vets, breeder other cavalier owners I decided to have them both neutered ( both 4 years old).

The vet decided yesterday to continue with the Rimaydl for 4-5 days, by increasing the dose to one and a half tabs.

H, I wont name the vet on the forum but I dont believe it to be the same practice, and have been satisfied with this vet for nearly 16 years.

I spoke to the vet who operated on Archie yesterday and she admitted the hip could have been aggrevated while castrating. She also mentioned there were signs of blood behind the penis.

In a few days if the hip has not improved we will definately go the x ray route.

Thanks again xx
That was a sufficient worry enough to castrate as could have been a sign of major things that could have happened if you hadn't neutered Archie. He could just have aggravated the bleeding through his exertions though too. Archie's hip should settle in the next few days - whilst it isn't a common issue, it does happen at time to time due to the hyperflexing during the op. Best wishes xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi All,

Just to let you know the saga with Archie's hip continues. The second course of anti-inflams helped but as soon as they finished he was back to limping on his rear right leg again.

Vet told me no exercise only garden for another week, which we did. Then last week a few walks around the block - no problems.

Today I took him on a walk off lead up the river, he swam, trotted, did not run at all, and have been back 30 minutes and he is so stiff and crying in pain.

Have been on the phone to the vet again -waiting for her to call back.

They offered a free consultation to which I declined having been told it is a problem with the hip.

I just want this sorted as it is a "new" condition which has devolped since castration.

A member on here mentioned "hyper flexing" and told me it is common after castration, I wondered as she is no longer a member are there any other experiences please before I chat with my vet again.

Thanks x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry Tracy I have no idea You need some x-rays done mate, and they should do them FREE of charge imo!!! You can tell her that maybe!!! xxxxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks H, I think I may "try" and insist they are done free of charge, as this problem is still unresolved after the meds.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2010, 05:23 PM
If you google the ex members user name you could ask her yourself via *aceboo* just add a f and k where appropriate or another forum, if that helps.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Shirley

Ok, so visited the vets again today, thorough examination yet again. Right hip causing discomfort ( and Archie let us know too )

He is booked in for x rays tomorrow, and yes they are meeting me half way with the costs.

He admitted it could have happened after castration, during recovery, but was emphatic not during as legs not restrained.

He still believes it is soft tissue or muscle problems ( and I hope this is the case ) but did not rule out hip dysplasia!!!!!!!!!!!

Update tomorrow!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >