Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
They used to be hellish, frankly. What with the pulling, the constant lunging every time Dex was spooked, and the obsessive chasing of cats and birds and well, anything small that moved actually... Oh, and the jumping up at literally every person who walked past us...

For the first six months our walks were really hard. Then we found a good trainer who taught me how to manage Dex better, and I also accepted that I needed to use a headcollar because of the frequent and violent lunges.

Now, a year since I rehomed Dexter, our walks are 90% enjoyable.

The 10% stressful part is if Dex sees a cat, or a motorbike, or someone carrying something big - or worst of all, if we encounter a horse....
Good job you live in London. Can't imagine you see too many of them?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a stressful walk once in a blue moon, and that is only really when we meet an out of control aggressive dog.
I love our walks, and i enjoy not having to worry much, think I would find it really hard having a dog or in an area that made walks stressful regularly.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Good job you live in London. Can't imagine you see too many of them?
Depends where you are. Not sure if Tabitha gets much up in North London. But near me is Richmond Park which is hugely popular with riders especially on weekends. And there's a big riding school just outside the gates. And over in Hampton we had a riding lesson go by with about 15 horses together....now that was fun

So on top of all the crowds and traffic, we also get the rural distractions of wild rabbits, rutting deer and even horses in London. Aren't we lucky
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Depends where you are. Not sure if Tabitha gets much up in North London. But near me is Richmond Park which is hugely popular with riders especially on weekends. And there's a big riding school just outside the gates. And over in Hampton we had a riding lesson go by with about 15 horses together....now that was fun

So on top of all the crowds and traffic, we also get the rural distractions of wild rabbits, rutting deer and even horses in London. Aren't we lucky
You need to move. And so do I come to think of it -- the South East commuter belt is on par with London these days.

Moobli's location becomes more and more attractive by the day.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:29 PM
You need to move. And so do I come to think of it -- the South East commuter belt is on par with London these days.

I'll go halves!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Our walks are mainly enjoyable... it would say 99% of the time they are enjoyable, Jake is a total pleasure to walk these days... wow, I never thought I would ever get that when he was younger
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Agreed! Personally I'm drawn to scout45's location away in the remote Italian mountains! Each and every day becoming a hermit becomes just a little more attractive
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post

Yep I'll agree with that! Have ended up hunting down all the quiet spots like Epsom common, Horton country park, places in cobham and esher woods / oxshott woods on some days!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Squillions of horses in London.

The household cavalry ride very day in Hyde Park, then Lilo Blum's riding school is (or was) opposite St Georges Hospital, Horses ride over Wimbledon and Richmond Park etc.

Not to mention the mounted police, the carriage horses from BP mews etc.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 10:43 PM
If I can avoid people with offlead dogs then my walks are not stressful at all, but 99% of offlead dogs I do unfortunately meet, if I decide I want to go across a field instead of pounding the pavements round the local buisness park, have no recall (if the owner even attempts to call them) and either run over growling at mine or leap all over them which they hate..
I want to swap homes with moobli.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >