Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thorn+BenjysMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Benjy-Roo's direct 'stalking' approaches

Our dog Benjy-Roo is a friendly, medium sized terrier cross. She lived with our dog Thorn for two years and he was fear aggressive so we used to walk them in farmland away from other dogs so he could get a good run off-lead (he was a GreyhoundxGSD). Since Christmas, Roo has been our only dog and so I have been walking her in parks and public spaces so that she can meet other dogs regularly.

When she meets another off-lead dog Roo is either playful (tail wagging, play-bows, invitations to a game of chase), or will just turn and walk off if they do not show any interest in saying hello or if they are unfriendly. She ignores some dogs entirely if they are ignoring her, and she has never been in a fight. The problem is that she approaches many strange dogs - especially those who are exhibiting friendly tail wagging - with a direct stare, a lowered body posture and what I can only describe as a 'stalk'.

The stalking is in several fast and direct sections with pauses in between where she remains low to the ground with tail directly out behind her and ears flatened and head low. None of the dogs she approaches seem to find this intimidating as they mostly just stand still and stare back with a wagging tail. She will occassionally break the stalk with a bout of sniffing, but not every time. When she gets within 5 metres of the other dog she always stops and wags her tail back and then after the obligatory bottom sniffing either starts the play postures or runs back to me.

Whilst this strange (impolite?) approach doesn't seem to bother the other dogs, it can sometimes startle owners to see such strange behaviour. It doesn't look particularly friendly what with the approaching in a straight line and the staring. I am not sure how I can train Roo not to do this, bar calling her back each time, which seems a shame as she does like to meet other dogs, and (being a terrier) she often feigns deafness when she has gone into stalk mode. (If I see an on-lead dog approaching I do call Roo back and put her on a lead to pass as I know what a horror it was to have off-lead dogs running up to Thorn - he hated it.)

Does anyone else's dog do this strange approach towards other dogs? And does anyone know what it means?

Kate
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I've seen many dogs do it, particularly collies and i'm never quite sure if the dog doing it is going to be friendly or not, I simply cant tell.

I dont think it's a strange behaviour but I dont know what it means i'm afraid.
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Our Lurcher (Border Collie X) does this too, and I must admit, I've only ever seen it exhibited by Border Collies! As far as I am aware (and I may be wrong!) it is not a threatening/impolite way to greet another dog, as the low position indicates a more submissive disposition. My other dog does the complete oposite - he will stand erect, slightly stiff with his tail erect and moving slightly from side to side (his tail moving that is!). This is a more dominant/threatening approach than the one your dog exhibits, but he can be fear aggressive or dominant with certain dogs.
Hope this helps and if I am wrong, someone will no doubt correct me!
Jo
Thorn+BenjysMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
That's interesting... I thought Roo was being too 'direct' but it sounds like she may be being fairly submissive - which explains why she doesn't get into any trouble. Thanks!