View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2006, 04:20 PM

help the dog has started chewing (18 month old bitch chewing everything)

i dont know if any one can help but here goes.
cassie is an 18 month old northen inuit bitch, we have had her for about 6 months. when we are at work cassie has the run of the down stairs of the house, that was untill 2 weeks ago when she chewed up the setee. now she has been relagated to the utilaty room,kitchen and anothr small utility room. came home 20 mins ago and she has chewed up the laminate flooring in the kitchen. i have rubed her nose in it but dont know what else to do , it seems so out of carecter for her. she is now out the back garden where she will stay untill i carm down. is there anything i can do short of locking her up in the smallest room where she can do no damage while we are out?
cheers mark
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2006, 04:37 PM
She will truly be totally confused into why you have 'rubbed her nose in it' and will have no idea what she has done wrong. There are several NI people on here who will be able to advise you, but having a breed similar in character and traits to the NI, I know they are extremely destructive and it sends you mental. Have you spoken to the breeder or the NI Society about it, they will be able to offer advice.
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
She will truly be totally confused into why you have 'rubbed her nose in it' and will have no idea what she has done wrong. There are several NI people on here who will be able to advise you, but having a breed similar in character and traits to the NI, I know they are extremely destructive and it sends you mental. Have you spoken to the breeder or the NI Society about it, they will be able to offer advice.
thanks for that, we cant speak to the breeder because we had her ' second hand' . and its not as if im a novice with dogs my ex and myself used to have 22 dogs at one time borzois to yorkys but this seems so out of carecter for her.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 05:05 PM
could it be she has to much free space .....
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I think the NI people will be your best bet, they will know her breeding and a bit more about her, why did she need re-homing?
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
could it be she has to much free space .....
i was thinking that myself. i dont think she will have so much tomorrow. but the thing is she has had this space all the time , so it begs the question why now?
mark meek
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
I think the NI people will be your best bet, they will know her breeding and a bit more about her, why did she need re-homing?
she used to be owned by a so called friend of mine. he spun me a yarn about her barking at next doors great dane, the council getting involved and her having an order put on her. it turns out he had a bedlington as well, one of them was peeing on the floor and he was blaming cassie and was beating her for it, we took her over our house is dry ,if chewed .his house is still damp. so ive got an ex friend and aloverly if chewy dog
gundog annie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Mark

How long is she left for?

Kind regards
Annie
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2006, 10:50 PM
As utes and NI's are similar in character, I know that Ute's have a second 'chewing stage' which apparently happens about 14 months. Never witnessed it with my old ute, but then she never ate my pebble dashing either (which my two girls are now doing)!!!! Maybe she is going through this other stage at a slightly later date
At least, as you say, your house is dry.
Have you any pedigree with her or do you know who or where he bought her from and her birthday?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi i dont know anything about the breed but i do know that dogs go through stages in their lives for all different reasons my sisters dog who is a german shepard is just now going through his second stage of chewing he is 9 months old.i do know that when left alone for to long some dogs get bored or start to worry.she could just be starting to relax being with you and even maybe seeing how much she can get away with but try not letting her have a free run of the house make sure she has things to do also get or make some really smelly or hard toys for her she might just need to chew sorry i dont really know what else to surgest
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >