Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
If you click on the blue icon this is the message you get..

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...7-1215e84f34d5
Thats very odd of Microsoft to 'offer' to validate pirated software for £90 and likely due to their new operating system due out next year called 'Longhorn' so thought it best to claw back some money! Normally they just take people to court!

I was searching for a valid security certificate on that link,but unless i download the 'key'-i cant check to see if its really originated from Microsoft and not just from someones bedroom like some are.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Thats very odd of Microsoft to 'offer' to validate pirated software for £90 and likely due to their new operating system due out next year called 'Longhorn' so thought it best to claw back some money! Normally they just take people to court!

I was searching for a valid security certificate on that link,but unless i download the 'key'-i cant check to see if its really originated from Microsoft and not just from someones bedroom like some are.
I'll try some of your scanning suggestions. I already have Norton anti virus and Norton Systemworks and Webroot Sypsweeper but again I just trust them to work and update themselves!!

Thanks Kath X
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Meganrose if in doubt you can always contact Microsoft via Google and ask them about it...I have no intention of doing anything about mine it is like blackmail ..
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Meganrose if in doubt you can always contact Microsoft via Google and ask them about it...I have no intention of doing anything about mine it is like blackmail ..
Yeah, I know what you mean considering the amount of money I keep paying out!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
I'll try some of your scanning suggestions. I already have Norton anti virus and Norton Systemworks and Webroot Sypsweeper but again I just trust them to work and update themselves!!

Thanks Kath X
Never give your account or card details when prompted to Meganrose over the net.If its legitemate-they can wait!
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Never give your account or card details when prompted to Meganrose over the net.If its legitemate-they can wait!
Thanks again Steve, I've run the scan that you suggested and it's ticked all area's as being safe and so at least that's one good thing. I think it's more likely that I have been 'done over' by my ex computer engineer as I do not possess a disk or book as I did with my previous version of windows etc from Tiny. If this is the case it sounds as if the £90 will be cheap then. I feel like 'dobbing in' this man but I can't as a he's a friend of a friend and they recommended him to me in the 1st place. Anyway thanks for all your help. I won't do anything immediately.

Kath X
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Meganrose I confirmed it was genuine by going to tools/windows updates on my PC than to the windows site/check updates history and the 'check validation' tool is listed there ...
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Meganrose I confirmed it was genuine by going to tools/windows updates on my PC than to the windows site/check updates history and the 'check validation' tool is listed there ...
Thanks Mini, I haven't got a clue what on Earth you are talking about but it's good enough for me . Thanks again X
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Just to add with most computers your don't get a hard copy of XP any more, it's pre-installed on your machine, but there should be a Microsoft sticker on the back of your base unit with your License No. if your copy is genuine.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Sounds like this is a genuine Microsoft initiated warning. The updated WGA tool was rolled-out from end of April.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/wga-notifications-this-copy-of-windows.html

The best way to resolve it is to get your PC maker to put a genuine copy of Windows XP on your PC (if it came pre-installed with it). If the maker is no longer in existence, you can either buy a 'legal' copy of Windows XP or use this workaround:

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/workarounds-to-disable-non-genuine.html
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »