Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Pigs ear and tripe sticks

i was just wondering what age a dog can get pigs ears and tripe sticks? i got some for jake but want to make sure they are ok for him before i give them to him. i think they should be, but just want to check coz im a major worrier

although, ive been giving him bob martins puppy bites, and always wondered what they were as they stink! and today, i smelt the tripe sticks (through the bag ) and they smell the same as the puppy bites. and they looks very similar, so anyone know if thats what the puppy bites are? tripe sticks just cut up??
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I personally would give both of these from the very beginning. Just make sure they are well supervised until they are used to what to do.

I have no idea what the puppy bites are sorry.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2009, 04:17 PM
My boy had tripe sticks from about 7 months he loves em and has always been fine with them.
I dont give him pigs ears, as once he chocked on one.
I thought he was just chewing them properbly but he had chewed it into a goowy big ball and then tried to swallow the lot.
He was choking and I had to pull it out of his throat!
So I dont give them to him anymore, also there deep fried I think so not very good for them either.

Stay away from rawhide to, there evil!!!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2009, 05:35 PM
lol My Min Pins were having tripe sticks when they were 8 weeks old so i'm sure Jake will be just fine with them , they also have pigs ears but not very often as I Normally find that the Min Pins just mouth them till they are soggy and then get bored with them and then Aura comes along and helps mummy clean up by eating up the littlies soggy left overs
I do always supervise when the dogs have things like pigs ears/ chews though just incase of choking etc.

p.s... if you think tripe sticks smell through the bag, just wait untill Jakes got his jaws around them making them wet....
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I personally would give both of these from the very beginning. Just make sure they are well supervised until they are used to what to do.

I have no idea what the puppy bites are sorry.
thanks, will go get him one just now

Originally Posted by hades View Post
My boy had tripe sticks from about 7 months he loves em and has always been fine with them.
I dont give him pigs ears, as once he chocked on one.
I thought he was just chewing them properbly but he had chewed it into a goowy big ball and then tried to swallow the lot.
He was choking and I had to pull it out of his throat!
So I dont give them to him anymore, also there deep fried I think so not very good for them either.

Stay away from rawhide to, there evil!!!
that sounds scary! i always worry about choking, so jake is always supervised... and he doesnt rawhide now. he did, but i read on here about how bad it can be so he doesnt get it now lol

Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
lol My Min Pins were having tripe sticks when they were 8 weeks old so i'm sure Jake will be just fine with them , they also have pigs ears but not very often as I Normally find that the Min Pins just mouth them till they are soggy and then get bored with them and then Aura comes along and helps mummy clean up by eating up the littlies soggy left overs
I do always supervise when the dogs have things like pigs ears/ chews though just incase of choking etc.

p.s... if you think tripe sticks smell through the bag, just wait untill Jakes got his jaws around them making them wet....
lol, im worried about the smell. the puppy bites smell real bad but the tripe sticks will be worse since the puppy bites are gone in one bit, the tripe sticks will take longer...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Mine have had rawhide, pigs ears, paddywack, tripe sticks, etc., as soon as their adult teeth have come in.

I supervise them and generally take them away after an hour or so and have never had any problems.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Codee is 17 weeks and has tripe sticks and had her first pigs ear the other day, she loves them!!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Dogs do fine without them, and they are risky. They have killed dogs. Also, it is expensive to cut a dog open to remove a blockage.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Here is Ollie, a wrinkled 12 week pup with a tripe stick! And yes they stink, but hey, ho...

jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
They have killed dogs.
Kibble has killed dogs too. Any food/any thing can kill dogs!!!

Lozibear, as long as you are aware of what your dog is like with them, he will be fine!!! Jess has never got tripe sticks, pigs ears, bones, rawhide, paddywhack etc etc stuck and she has been fine with them, so don't get worried until there becomes something to be worried about (which probs won't happen anyway).
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >