COUGH!!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Clob
Brierley
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/FoodRefu.htm
Yep, would think that would teach the dog food refusal. Take it that 'tickling 'em' into submission doesn't work for this particular trick

Clob
Says page not found, what was it one of your 1 in 20 million once every every 20 year period failings?
Page works beautifully for me ...
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Brierley
Yep, would think that would teach the dog food refusal. Take it that 'tickling 'em' into submission doesn't work for this particular trick

Wiziwig
So many untruths told with so much sugar from electric collar supporters isnt there, and a little tweaking of the goalposts from time to time too... dearie me This second quote is best as it's more up to date.
http://siriusdog.com/articles/food-r...aining-dog.htm
Just zap the dog (I'd definitely call this zapping) at a very high level 3 times and yes, it should work.
Poor dog.

Clob
I hope you can get it right next time-fed up of reading this over again, more deliberate time wasting posts.

Your Location : SiriusDog.com Error 404
You requested a page, and we looked for it. We sent our best dog, "Dina the Wonderdog" on a chase to find the file you requested at lightning speed! She found a ball instead and we've lost her too. Thus, the page or file you are trying to reach was not found on SiriusDog.com. If you typed the name in yourself, please ensure you typed it in correctly and try again. If you followed it as a link from another page, please inform the webmaster of that site of the error. If you believe this is an error on SiriusDog.com's part, or if you do not know the correct address of the page you want to reach, e-mail SiriusDog.com and explain that you received "error 404". Include the page you were trying to reach, and help with the problem will be mailed back to you. Dina, unfortunately, is beyond needing help.

Go to the SiriusDog.com main page, or you can press the "Back" button on your browser to return to where you were.

SiriusDog.com
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2006, 10:50 AM
The misconception about modern e-collars is inherent in the question(s) above, modern e-collars are not just for problem solving, that generation of collars is obsolete since 1998, 8 years ago.

so you use them routinely in training do you? not to solve specific problems.

The other problem specifically to dogs is that anyone teaching a pet dog owner must have a method which that individual pet owner and that individual dog will be able to successfully apply.

My principle method of use is as a negative reinforcer which gives a consistent positive reinforcer, under all circumstances and range every time = 100% consistency in applying a positive reinforcer and at the same time resolving the problem of sensory narrowing.

Therefor, useing an e-training collar in the formal obedience training stage shapes behaviours correctly in the first place, it is failing to shape the behaviours correctly in the first place which causes problem.

There is only one behaviour you are actually shaping and that is that the dog responds to a command under all circumstances, including distance and any distractions at any point in time. With most of the high drive dogs people will encounter sensory narrowing that is also overcome by useing the collar as a distraction, that in turn opens the senses to your own command stimulus.[/quote]

I think this was the only bit in that post that answered my question though
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I hope you can get it right next time-fed up of reading this over again, more deliberate time wasting posts.
COUGH! COUGH!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Brierley

Wiziwig
So many untruths told with so much sugar from electric collar supporters isnt there, and a little tweaking of the goalposts from time to time too... dearie me This second quote is best as it's more up to date.
http://siriusdog.com/articles/food-r...aining-dog.htm
Just zap the dog (I'd definitely call this zapping) at a very high level 3 times and yes, it should work.
Poor dog.

Clob

Your Location : SiriusDog.com Error 404
Well, I can find it and so can other people - why can't you? Simple question.
Of course if you put dots in like you have it won't work, you have to click on the link I gave originally.

It seems you don't like anything which shows the other side of the coin. If this is a discussion, you really can't have it all your own way you know Clod

Uncllou is suggesting electric collars are not used on high levels, I am showing that he himself uses them on high levels.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I have no idea who told you that using an Ecollar is an "easy, no effort way of getting a result" but it's not true. It is easier and faster and uses less effort than other methods but it still takes time and effort to get the training done.

It stands to reason, I don't need to be told anything. Gentle training methods are bound to take a while to teach and learn. I see no reason to shock my dog into compliance when I can spend time and teach him - it is far more rewarding and the dog does it because he wants to not because he's afraid of the consequences.

Actually that's EXACTLY what a dog feels, a tingling sensation, when an Ecollar is used properly. The most common response is that the dog sits and scratches as if a flea is biting him.

With all due respect, you have got to be having a laugh. IF that's all it is, a simple tingling sensation or an itch - this would not stop my dog from chasing after something he had his heart set on catching. Sits and scratches when there's a rabbit or muntjac deer in his sights??? I think not.

If you've trained one pet to come when he's called your experience with dogs is vastly different than if you're a trainer with hundreds of dogs "under your belt."
There are many trainers out there who have trained many dogs with gentle methods.

Why are you so hell bent on selling this dubious method to us when we clearly have no intention of using it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Page works beautifully for me ...
Doesnt for me.
Dawn.
Clob
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Trouble
I think this was the only bit in that post that answered my question though

Clob
Yes, although the answer to the question is very simple in theory I don’t find it very easy to reply simply with such a wide cross section readings this.

Another thing I did not mention but will now is this. It is a total misconception that e-collars are simply for training, they are the fail safe device which can be used in an emergency.

No matter how well trained any dog is it is a living animal and as such reliability is based on probability not certainty, e-collars should be left on dogs at large in the environment at all times, if something unforeseen happens and the dog does not respond use the collar.

It has taken well over 40,000 years to develop a reliable fail system to stop a dog in its tracks in a life threatening/hazard situation and a fail safe has never been possible until now, in a training situation this would be misuse of an e-collar, in an emergency there is no such thing as misuse of anything and no time to think of anything.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 11:19 AM
The page you were looking for was not found on this server. You could have typed in the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist.

Check that you have typed the address correctly, if you have, you may want use the UWSP Search Engine to find the page that you were looking for. If the page still exists, but has just been placed somewhere else, the search engine will point you to the page's current location. You might also try the UWSP Site Index. This page contains an alphabetical listing of UWSP Web home pages.

You could also try the links in the following list. The list contains links that could possible lead you to where you wanted to go. The links do not necessarily work, and you will probably have the best luck with the first link in the list:
http://www.uwsp.edu
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/

Go to the UWSP Home Page

www@uwsp.edu

Thats all I get!
Dawn.
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 30 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »