Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Sinister Lumps

Please excuse the self indulgent whinge. I was going to put this in the health part, but then I realised I'm not sure anybody can give me an answer of even that it's a question I'm asking.

I'm currently in a panic. I was grooming the Tibetan Mastiff yesterday. He's blowing his coat and I'm currently picking out the remnants of the undercoat off his feet and lower legs. Then there it was, this hard lump about the size of a grape on his wrist. I'm pretty sure it's not been there long as he often gets his feet wiped and dried if it's wet outside and I think I would have noticed even through his winter coat.

It's kind of mobile from side to side, but not as movable up and down the length of his leg. I can't really tell if it's attached to any of the bones as it's right on his wrist where there are lots of little bones. It's not rock hard, but not wobbly like a lipoma. I can find no marks on the skin, no discolouration and no pain when I touch it. He's not limping or licking at it.

Of course, I stupidly had a read round the internet and am convinced he's got osteosarcoma. Now I don't know what to do. Observe it for a few days to see if it's just a cyst or something and goes down as he's murder for bombing round the house with the bearcoat. Just after I discovered said lump I saw him clonk himself on the radiator valve that's just the right height and side of his body. Or should I panic and whip him to the vet to likely be told to leave it a week and then come back for a needle biopsy if it's not gone down. A couple of days before that I found and squeezed a small sebaceous cyst on his eyebrow that, from reading about the lump on his leg, I'm now convinced is a mast cell tumour. Despite it having a rather nice white head on it that gave a satisfying splat when I squeezed it.

The funny thing is, I laugh at people who have munchausens syndrome by internet and self diagnose themselves with all sorts. Yet I'm doing it with the dog. I woke up in the early hours listening to him gently snore and was convinced it was because this osteosarcoma had already spread to his lungs rather than it be because he was curled up in a tiny ball with his throat on his tangle of feet. It a year since I lost my last shar-pei to a metastasized melanoma and he's the same age as my heart dog was when she died and so I think it's all playing on my mind.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Well you can stay at home and worry yourself senseless and, more importantly lose what may be valuable time to treat the dog.

Or.

You can go to the vet and have it investigated.

If it is nothing, you worries will be relieved, if it is something to be worried about, you will at least know what you are dealing with.

Sticking your head in the sand will not be useful to man nor beast.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
You're right. I was going to take him Monday, but I'll only be worried about it all weekend. My vet is conservative when it comes to stuff like this, but I'll insist we get a needle biopsy.

I'll book him in for tomorrow or Friday, depending on getting a lift.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I agree with SB - better to go sooner rather than later.

Hope it's nothing to worry about.

x0x
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Yep I agree too. Fingers crossed it is nothing to worry about xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes I have to agree with the others and hopefuly it will be nothing but at least you will know and then can rest over it all. If it is something to worry over you will have had it investigated early and he will stand a better chance.

I lost a dog to cancer and any lump now I am thinking the worse we can't help it we are human and love our dogs.

Everything crossed it is nothing to worry about.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Fingers crossed it is nothing sinister.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I understand your worry, but in the nicest way I hope it proves unfounded and your TM gets the all clear ((hugs))
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
yes if for no other reason to ease your worries I would get it checked. Bruno did have a sarcoma and it grew very quickly, literally wasn't there one day and was there the next, and we caught it quickly and he has been fine since ( a year on) so even if it is something you have got it early.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Really hope it turns out to be nothing xxx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »