Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Do you think it could be linked?

Hello all

A bit long winded but bare with me.

As some of you will know, it was confirmed via blood tests that Amy has some allergies, the strange thing is she is fine most of the time then will have a flare up, where she scratches herself to bits.

When I first brought this (the scratching) to the vets attention, Amy had actually gone to the vet to be spayed but i wanted to mention the scratching as it had got quite bad, on the table it was discovered she had come into season (again, 2nd season, 3month gap) so the spay was cancelled. We were told to wait a month after she finished before spaying as it seems she has 3 monthly cycles. With all the various tests that followed for the scratching, we missed the "right" time to spay her and she has just (today) come in to season again (3rd season).

The thing is, for the last couple of weeks she's had a flare up where her allergies (presumably) have been bugging her and the last time she was really bad was a couple of weeks before she had her 2nd season. Do you think it could be linked? When she is a couple of weeks away from her season the itching starts or is it just coincidence?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't rule it out, but I guess its difficult for you to look back and be precise about exactly when else she has had a flare up.

Fingers crossed that if it is linked, when you get her spayed, it will settle down for good.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I wouldn't rule it out, but I guess its difficult for you to look back and be precise about exactly when else she has had a flare up.

Fingers crossed that if it is linked, when you get her spayed, it will settle down for good.
I know when i took her in to be spayed the scratching had been getting bad the previous couple of weeks as i actually told the vet that, she then seemed to get better, by the time all the results came back she was looking lovely, which is why the vet held off on any treatment. then shes been getting bad again over the last few weeks so, the timings are spot on, the problem didnt show at all until after she had her first season.

Maybe i'm just hoping that its linked so that when she's spayed it may help
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
But had there been other times when it was bad too, or is the only time when it got really bad when she has been in season? If they are the only times, I'd say there was a very good chance that the two were linked. If she's been bad at other times too, I'd be more likely to think that it is more co-incidence.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
But had there been other times when it was bad too, or is the only time when it got really bad when she has been in season? If they are the only times, I'd say there was a very good chance that the two were linked. If she's been bad at other times too, I'd be more likely to think that it is more co-incidence.
This is only the 2nd time she's got bad, in between this time and the 1st time, she got better and when i say better, we nicknamed her "minky" as she looked like she'd grown a mink coat and all without any treatment. Also bareing (sp) in mind her seasons are 3 months apart so, it seems she just gets enough time to look nice and lush and then bang, she cycles
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I know when i took her in to be spayed the scratching had been getting bad the previous couple of weeks as i actually told the vet that, she then seemed to get better, by the time all the results came back she was looking lovely, which is why the vet held off on any treatment. then shes been getting bad again over the last few weeks so, the timings are spot on, the problem didnt show at all until after she had her first season.

Maybe i'm just hoping that its linked so that when she's spayed it may help
what were the results of the a.t?
i dont see why it couldnt be linked!,i would get her spayed asap,as if this is a link then problem solved without meds!!!which is always good,but,im sure your vet has mentioned that if she is on steroids,they will have to be stopped before and during recovery from the op.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
what were the results of the a.t?
i dont see why it couldnt be linked!,i would get her spayed asap,as if this is a link then problem solved without meds!!!which is always good,but,im sure your vet has mentioned that if she is on steroids,they will have to be stopped before and during recovery from the op.
The allergy tests were positive for, wheat, rice soya and some grasses (mainly the hayfever culprits).

She isnt on any medication as at the time of the results she didnt need any. It will be about oct before we can spay her now.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
BTW Steriods are a big no no for Shar Pei's
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
We had a very similar thing with our old GSD. She had times when her skin and coat where itchy and uncomfortable, we also noticed it was around her season. Once she was spayed it cleared up. I hope this works for you.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
BTW Steriods are a big no no for Shar Pei's
steroids are ok SHORT term in most cases,anyway was only trying to help
the a.t results were kind of standard then,what does your vet use when she has a 'flare up'?
my advice would be VERY HIGH levels of omega and gla(but i guess shes already being given that) it will help her skin in general and will also help if it is hormone related,and of course the spay
good luck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >