View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Does it make a difference training inside or outside??

Do you think it makes a difference having training classes and the like in a inside environment or outside in a field. ?

Would you choose one over the other even if you liked the trainer??
How confined do outside classes need to be ??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Owners need control in the "real world", anyone can get control in a village hall, and the dogs "behave" there as there is nothing better to do.

If I had a £1 for each time somebody says "he does it at home" or "he does it at training classes" I, and many other people would be rich.

Training outside, in a suitable environment, replicates as far as possible dog walks and, I believe, demonstrates the ACTUAL control (or lack of) owners have over their dogs.

I rarely train inside unless I am attending a specific seminar where everyone is having 1:1 attention from a top trainer.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:24 PM
The place i took rolo and ruby too was perfect, they had a safe enclosed outdoor space and an indoor space in a yurt with the doors open, the area had distractions around with fox/rabbits and provided a scented ground outside and an indoor area too.

I especially with springers liked the outdoor area with extra scents as this helped the focus with other interesting trees on the immediate outside of the perimeter, rabbits and other wildlife had been on the ground and all of this helped the dog to learn to ignore and focus.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I prefer outside. Inside is quite fun if you want a good gossip and you`ve got a very sociable dog, but if not, it can be very stressful.
And really - I know my dogs behave indoors. It`s out in the open I need to practice keeping their attention.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I prefer inside - mainly because it's cold atm
Nah - I like training both inside and out..
My next dog will have more lessons outside, especially if it ends up being a spaniel
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Good to start inside where distraction is at a minimum for a new exercise, then move outside as quick as poss

training inside can be boring, for me and the dog
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't think it makes a difference where the lessons are held tbh so long as you practice your 'homework' if different places. I prefer to go to classes indoors because it's cold and rainy a lot of the time.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Both have pros and cons, but on the whole, outside is better in respect of it reflects real life so what is learned on the training field generalises and works on normal walks far quicker.

Many dogs can work well when training outdoors that can't cope inside a cramped hall. Outdoor training also gives far more room to work.

Indoor training is useful for starting off the basics as there are far fewer distractions.

On the whole, though, outdoor training gets my vote every time.
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I have indoor and outdoor facilities for my students and their training but personally, I prefer to work outside, it's far more natural and we don't get as many distractions indoors as we do out! (Well, not under normal circumstances anyway! )
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I always train my clients outdoors.
In scandinavia if you told them classes are held indoors in the Uk, they would think you odd indeed

Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
The place i took rolo and ruby too was perfect, they had a safe enclosed outdoor space and an indoor space in a yurt with the doors open, the area had distractions around with fox/rabbits and provided a scented ground outside and an indoor area too.
Say hello to Heather and Clare from me

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I don't think it makes a difference where the lessons are held tbh so long as you practice your 'homework' if different places. I prefer to go to classes indoors because it's cold and rainy a lot of the time.
People dont practice homework. Already assume they wont, so cover their 'fail' by making up for that by making homework the actual class itself, ie, 'real life' - outdoors.

Vastly colder in Scandinavia, they always train outdoors..as i told one trainer once whom tried to tell me with a straight face clubs have to train indoors in the Uk, due to the weather!

'Dog training' isnt about the 'ring', its about the 'field' - it IS your 'dog walk', one and the same thing.
And none of this is about the comforts of home, its about mud, heat, cold, weat, dark, light, if one cannot cant cope with that in a 'class', how can one cope with that the rest of the time?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >