Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Switching over from puppy food to adult food

When do you think a medium to large breed dog (Samoyed) should be switched over from puppy food to adult food?

I thought around 8 months, would you think that's too early?

Thanks.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I know of people who never use puppy food and just go straight to adult.
Puppy food can be too neutrient dense causing the puppies to grow to quickly putting stress on their young joints - espesh a prob with larger dogs
So deff not to early IMHO
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 07:50 PM
That was something along the lines of what I thought, Pam. My neighbour has a Samoyed pup who is now 12 weeks old and she thinks she should change her over on to a good quality adult dry food when she is around 6 -7 months old and I orginally thought at around 8 months, but 6-7 months woould probably be fine.

Thanks, Pam.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2008, 07:50 PM
My two were on adult food by 8 months. I think Star was 6 months when I changed her over
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I only used puppy food with Kismet till she was about 6months, she's on adult food now and doing well on it. I looked at 'junior' and thought it looked like a bit of a rip off. She has less than it says on the adult bag to give her, but I mix it with a little butchers tripe and she has a raw feed in the morning as well, the raw bones are good for her growth. She is thriving!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
My two were on adult food by 8 months. I think Star was 6 months when I changed her over
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I only used puppy food with Kismet till she was about 6months, she's on adult food now and doing well on it. I looked at 'junior' and thought it looked like a bit of a rip off. She has less than it says on the adult bag to give her, but I mix it with a little butchers tripe and she has a raw feed in the morning as well, the raw bones are good for her growth. She is thriving!
Thanks to you both for the information. Looks like 6 months will be fine then!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 09:10 PM
With jess my newfoundland i fed her puppy food up until 6 months of age and then went on there next size up for a few months. Then onto the normal adult food,.
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Our dog let us know when she wanted to go onto the adult stuff. She was about 6 months old when she just wouldn't eat. We were over the inlaws and they were feeding their (4yr old) dog and Nala nipped in there and nearly polished the whole lot off! So since then we've had her on adult food and she's been fine. Vet said it was ok as well - as long as she was eating. She still has her off days when she's just not hungry but I suppose it's like humans, sometimes we just aren't hungry.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm sure they will be fine, but if they have any problems with the Samoyed, or she has difficulty switching over to adult food, the best thing to do is give her to a home with another Samoyed a Huskamute and a Lurcher in it, I have heard that does just the trick