View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 07:57 PM

My mum would love to rescue/foster, My dad wouldn't!!

Hi,

My mum is really desperate to get another dog and would love to offer a homeless hound a new home but my dad has said NO!! She has contacted local kennels and the sspca who, quite rightly did a home check and when they asked my dad what he toiught about having a new dog he replied "I don't want 1 but its her decision" (my mum and dad have such a loving relationship )

Anyway mum and da used to puppy walk and then 1 of the dogs they puppy walked failed for aggression towards a vet, they got offered him and took him and he ended up attacking me (I was 12) for no reason I know...He webnt for my lip and went right through my top lip, then he had a 2nd go and got my throat and my cheek

ANyway he has put down and I have bee n left with scars and had lots of stitches/surgery so dad decide that was it NO MORE DOGS..... mum however went out and got a private rehome a lab who she had for 13 years dad ignored him and he learned to ignore dad!! Don't get me wrong dad would never hurt a dog and always made sure our lab got fed walked etc if mum was ill but he just ignmored him otherwise. he has even been known to play tug with Ben!!!

Anyway mum would love to foster (preferably long term) or adopt but when home checks are done dad gives the "i don't want a dog response!!

They have a 2 bedroom bungalow with a huge secure garden and out the back are woods to walk in and out the front are endless fields and country lanes. My mum stays in Tayside does anyone have any ideas of how she could enquire about rehoming/fostering who either wouldnt want to meet my dad or who would ignore his attitude! as like I say I know as does mum that once the dog was there he would never see it hurt and would (when noone around throw the odd ball etc!! )

Any advice welcome
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Sorry, its a tough one. I think the answer is to persuade your Dad to be a bit less 'offish' when the home check is done.

I do understand your family's position; your Dad is exactly the same as mine was. If it was up to my Dad we would never have had dogs either; he just didn't really understand the need for any pet. He would walk and feed the dogs when no-one else could. Sometimes when he thought no-one else was looking he would give the dogs a treat, but he would have willing given them away if it had been up to him.

However, I don't blame the rescue centres for not being that keen on the circumstances if your Dad openly says 'I don't want a dog'.

If your Dad has agreed that your Mum can have another dog, he should say this. I don't think he has to pretend that the dog is going to be his best friend, but they do need to know that he has accepted the situation and that he would look after the dog if your Mum was unable to.