View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Slit the skin down the breast and take the breasts out. Too much of a faff to pluck and that is the best meat anyway. The only birds I pluck are woodcock as they are dead easy and turkey's cos we have to.

Helen
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:28 AM
i guess Tupac is a freak....he doesnt pluck,he eats it all.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont pluck anything for my dogs, just let them do it themselves. Well, actually it depends if I can be bothered! The downside of not plucking before you give it the dog is that you end up with feathers all over and in my house, that gets me a right telling off!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Oscar is gorgeous
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 04:37 PM
He looks very pleased with himself!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i guess Tupac is a freak....he doesnt pluck,he eats it all.
Sensible boy, that is much the best way!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Oscar looks rather proud of himself....and particularly handsome too!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Aww Bless Lovely picture Thanks for sharing x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
The hardest part is plucking all the feathers. I used to be given ducks and pheasants by a friend of my father's who shoots...

My advice is cut head off first then black plastic bag all round the bird and tie the legs to something so you have both hands free to pluck.. the feathers get everywhere... I was never shown how either, just muddled through.

Getting the guts and innards out isn't too bad after that cos the bird looks more like one from the butcher and its easier to see how it all works... good luck... Trust me the first one you do will look rubbish and the dog will probably get the results after all that hard work.

But you'll get better at it if you do it again... Then they gave me bunnies! Bunnies is a whole new thing!
Thanks for that, I might be brave and give it a try next week!

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
handsome lad

feathers off? lol Tupac gubbed two birds in three days there and then ,so far this week
Thank you!

Gubbed????

Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Awww clever boy!!
Thank you, he is very clever, but then there is such a thing a TOO clever!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Pigeons are not worth the hassle IMV much more of a pain than pheasant etc.
It'll be good for practice, everyone has to start somewhere.

Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Kerrie looooves pigeon. Loads on the roadside atm (along with baby buns, Pheasants etc)
This is the first roadkill I've taken home, mainly becuase I get hounded by Isla all the way home as she wants to eat it there and then. If de-fuzzing etc is successful then I'll definitely be doing it again, nowt quite like a free meal!

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Would probably have been lunch there and then for Rupert. Can't help with the plucking etc, he does it himself.
The thing is, with them being gundogs I'm not sure if teaching them to pluck a bird is a good idea. I can just imagine out shooting and being presented with a Pheasant carcass!

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
My OH ran over an already dead rabbit - I think he did it so I couldn't get out and pick it up now it's just a squished mess on the road..

There's LOADS of pigeons around - Louie plucked his own the other week - too bad I couldn't finish it off for him and whilst plucking up the courage to do so - some animal robbed it! I still have feathers all over the garden! Do you get funny looks when you practice retrieves with a dead animal?
I did wonder if people driving past were giving me funny looks! In fact a cyclist went past mid "praise" and I did feel a bit of a pratt!

Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I also have a pigeon in my freezer.

Harry found it when out on a walk and decided he would like to bring it home with him, I had to try and avoid the groups of children who then decided to keep walking past me.

Usually my lot eat them there and then and pluck them themselves.
Yes I got a few funny looks on the way back to the car!

Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
Bluddey hell woman. I thought the dog had been run over. Don't do that to me. They are one of my wish list dogs.

I would'nt bother plucking it much. Just whack the head off and he should just eat it.

Otherwise, skin it. Much easier.
I can highly recommend the breed, Oscar is a bit freakish but having met 100's of the breed I'm 100% convinced it's more of an Oscar trait than a breed trait!

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Slit the skin down the breast and take the breasts out. Too much of a faff to pluck and that is the best meat anyway. The only birds I pluck are woodcock as they are dead easy and turkey's cos we have to.

Helen
Ok, thanks for that. I was just going to give it to the dog but would you consider eating some of it yourself?

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I dont pluck anything for my dogs, just let them do it themselves. Well, actually it depends if I can be bothered! The downside of not plucking before you give it the dog is that you end up with feathers all over and in my house, that gets me a right telling off!
So you don't find the dogs get mixed up with the retrieving of the bird out in the field and the plucking/eating of the bird at home? I don't think Oscar would pluck it myself, he's a bit of a girl that way, but Isla might!

Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
Oscar is gorgeous
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
He looks very pleased with himself!
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oscar looks rather proud of himself....and particularly handsome too!
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Aww Bless Lovely picture Thanks for sharing x
Thanks everyone.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 09:46 PM
He's lovely and does look very happy with his prize
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >