Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Panic - Cooked Chicken Bones

3pm is feed time for the boys, so both have been fed, chicken today ( cooked removed from the bone )

Rubbish in garage - thought door was closed !!! It was not

All bones have now disappeared naturally I am concerned, however both boys look very pleased with themselves.

Any advice before I go searching through past threads please ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Mine have frequently eaten cooked bones. bits of plastic etc. and have survived. It is obviously a danger in the sense that bits of bones could get stuck or splinter, but if this were my dog I`d just keep a close eye on it - look for any sign of discomfort. Why not talk to your vet about it if you`re worried?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't panic! They obviously haven't choked or got anything lodged in their mouths -which would be my first concern with cooked chicken bones. I guess I would just keep a close eye on them for any pain/tenderness/swelling, especially in the abdomen, and keep an eye on them to check they are going to the toilet with no problems. They will probably be fine so don't worry too much. As long as you are on the ball if and when anything DOES happen so that you can get them to the vets quickly, everything should be ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Just keep an eye on them T. Accidents will happen, unfortunately.

Norty boys.......

Hope all's well that ends well

x0x
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:21 PM
norty boys.

just keep your eye on them for the next 24 hours. if normal functions are ok then no worries.

i think most dogs will eat cooked chicken bones at some point, mine have, and they dont suffer any bad effects.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Trixybird once it has 'gone down' there isn't a lot you can do, 'bringing it up again' can cause damage. I would be inclined to pad the sharp bones out with something, thick bread and milk, (which may pass through quickly, milk often does) or thick milky porridge.
I would also keep a look out for blood in the poos/dark tarry poos which can be a sign of trouble. As always if in doubt speak to the vet...
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Beau got 2 spare rib bones recently that the cat had stolen from next doors bin and all the vet said was to keep an eye on him for 24hr, he mentioned to look out for changes in mood and appearing down as well as sickness and bowel habits. He was fine but like you I was worried.
It will be fine
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I have had the same problem also, stolen chicken bones, thankfully no problems at all, they should pass them with no bother. A friend of mine cooks chickens in the pressure cooker, and this way we could give dogs the whole chicken with no worries? not sure how it works, but a little bit of futile information!! Hope all is well with the boys xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
I have had the same problem also, stolen chicken bones, thankfully no problems at all, they should pass them with no bother. A friend of mine cooks chickens in the pressure cooker, and this way we could give dogs the whole chicken with no worries? not sure how it works, but a little bit of futile information!! Hope all is well with the boys xx
Hi Wendyanne when cooking chicken in a pressure cooker the bones become very soft and pliable and can disintegrate altogether (due to the pressure). I used to cook chicken/oxtail/sheep's heads in a pressure cooker until they disintegrated then minced them to produce a nutritious substance resembling brawn.
Ordinary roast/cooked chicken is not the same, the bones become hard and sharp with cooking.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi hun....Reah's symptoms were... vomiting, constipation, not eating or drinking, and she went very listless, watch for any of these signs ....get them to the vets , like I did, as you know if left the end result would of been final.

Ps.........I'm sure they will be fine xxxxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >