View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I dropped a plate of chicken last week and Pepsi was there like a shot from a gun!
She was chomping on something and I had my fingers down her throat
Turned out to be a sausage that was on the same plate
I gave her half of it because I was so relieved it wasn't bones!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Years ago one of our dogs got hold of a cooked lamb bone - went into the waste bin in the kitchen to get it. Very strong jaws, one scrunch & he swallowed it.

We had to do emergency Vet visit as well.

Never ever feed cooked bones intentionally. Even the bigger cooked marrow bones in pet stores can splinter with a strong jawed dog. Raw marrow /shin bones - very good choice for dogs to gnaw
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
its ok to feed dogs leftovers, nothing thats toxic to them so no onions, rasins, grapes or chocolate etc..

DO NOT feed cooked chicken wings, the cooking makes the bones brittle, they will splinter and can seriously harm your dog. raw bones are fine though.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
its ok to feed dogs leftovers, nothing thats toxic to them so no onions, rasins, grapes or chocolate etc..

DO NOT feed cooked chicken wings, the cooking makes the bones brittle, they will splinter and can seriously harm your dog. raw bones are fine though.
This is what annoys mne as you need to state quantities that will harm ie what amount IS toxic. I know these lists go the rounds and there are a lot more on the list than that. Dosens of foods called toxic.

This came up on another forum re choclate ie theobromide with people panicking to their vet if the dog ate one bit of milk chocolate. There is little in milk chocolate and many had found that their dogs had broken into eg Christmas variety packs with no ill effect and ditto when a friends dog ate a whole bar of milk chocolate stolen from me.. the vet was very amused when we called her.. and assured us that even that amount would do no harm. High quality dark chocolate is what is dangerous for obvious reasons

Similarly onions and as it is allicin, ditto garlic... Do they mean that a tiny amount of cooked onion in left over stew or soup will kill.. or would it take a whole onion or head of garlic...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
This is what annoys mne as you need to state quantities that will harm ie what amount IS toxic. I know these lists go the rounds and there are a lot more on the list than that. Dosens of foods called toxic.

This came up on another forum re choclate ie theobromide with people panicking to their vet if the dog ate one bit of milk chocolate. There is little in milk chocolate and many had found that their dogs had broken into eg Christmas variety packs with no ill effect and ditto when a friends dog ate a whole bar of milk chocolate stolen from me.. the vet was very amused when we called her.. and assured us that even that amount would do no harm. High quality dark chocolate is what is dangerous for obvious reasons

Similarly onions and as it is allicin, ditto garlic... Do they mean that a tiny amount of cooked onion in left over stew or soup will kill.. or would it take a whole onion or head of garlic...
Sorry to annoy you I won't risk feeding the toniest amount to my dogs so it makes no difference about quantities to me! I have small dogs so the tiniest bit could be harmful.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3