Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:59 PM

retching & coughing

My almost 14 yr collie icey has been making some retching then kind ofd coughing sounds as though somethings in her throat & shes trying to get rid of it. she does this a few times a day whilst resting or just moving around occasionally. she also has a grade 5 heart murmer so not sure if this could be the reasons for this retching/ coughing behaviour, think it may be time to visit vet again , does anyone else have an elderly dog that does this.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:02 PM
That's a defnite vet visit, Rose, especially with Ice's heart condition. Good luck hon, and keep us posted

*Hugs* x0x0x
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Thankfully I don't but I think you would be right to go to the vet . Hope it's nothing too serious
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I did tell the vet about this retching/ coughing she was doing a few weeks ago & he didn't put her on anything as she wasn't doing it enough!! she will do it about 3 x some days then nothing for a day but it is getting more regular now but will get her seen as soon as i can get her in .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree with Vicki. IN the human form, coughing and heart problems is not a good sign, but hopefully it's different in dogs?! Good luck
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Sounds very similar to our old Kip - he had a heart murmur that originally wasn't bad enough for medication; the vet told us that if and when he started to cough regularly, that was the time to bring him in.

He did start coughing regularly so the vet put him on meds. They seemed to do him some good (but he wasn't on them that long before he had to be pts due to a stomach tumour). I'm afraid I can't remember what they were - just that there were two sorts.

I'm sure Ice will be fine for awhile yet with a bit of help from some drugs
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanx everyone, just worrying when i hear this coughing noise, thanx for your help.
xxxxxxxx
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 07:56 PM
we took icey to vets tonight & he examined her & felt her throat & said she had a jelly like lump in one side of her throat high up. He got me to feel it too & it was only small but this is possibly whats been making her retch/ cough & not her heart murmer problem. She did wretch when he was feeling her throat area. She is to have x2 antibiotics & metacam too for a week , he says she possibly may have an infection in her throat which is what the lump may be? . will see how she gets on with this medication.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I think that's a positive outcome. Something that can be zapped with ABs is way more preferable than it being her heart.

I'm chuffed, Rose, I have to say!

*hugs* for the special girly x0x0x0x0x
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanx vicki, the poor girl has colitis too so taking pro-kolin also, her faeces really are smelly @present poor girl.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >