Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2012, 07:28 PM

People's attitudes to dog ownership

People never fail to amaze me!

Fair enough I'm a 'doggy' person but I just don't understand some people.

I had new neighbours move in shortly before christmas, they have a boarder collie dog, 18 months old.

They sent their teenage son round to speak to me about the dogs and they wanted to 'sort something out'.

Basically their dog barks whenever let out in the garden (their son told me the day they moved in that their dog barks alot)
If my dogs are out at the same time he barks mine bark back - I take them in. Mine know the still bark and u come in, they are never left out there, they go and do their business then come in.
They can't get there dog to come in, Hense the need to 'sort out'.

I felt like saying well train your dog to come and you wont have a problem! I ended up offering to text before I let mind out to ensure they aren't out at th same time.

Whilst we were talking the son mentioned that their mum was thinking of 'getting rid' of pepper as she can't walk him because he hurts her wrist by pulling and now the barking! I mean are you being serious! I asked if they had tried training - no, head collar- no. Harness -no, you get the picture.

Are people attitudes really so flippant to rehoming? My dogs are do life no until they become mildly inconvenient!

They have since mentioned to me a few things such as a brother who had 1 staff, but now someone else has it and he has another one, oh and the other he had for a while.
And we've had loads of dogs. We had Irish setter but that didn't last long as he wanted to steal food so we got rid of him.

My naivity showing through but I cannot believe they are so disposable to some!
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Sadly they're not alone.

Many years ago I had a "friend" (the relationship didn't last long). I knew her and her family for two years, in that time, she went through:

1 Springer spaniel;
1 Flatcoat retriever;
1 Bichon Frise
2-3 Crossbreeds, collie crosses

All "had to go" for various reasons, either aggression, pulled on the lead, destructive behaviour or wouldn't come back when called.....

Bearing in mind I'm a full time dog-trainer, her dogs absolutely adored their training here, her Bichon was brilliant at obedience - honestly, but she had him pts because he bit the plumber, when she could easily have put him in the conservatory out of his way....

Oh, don't get me started..... she now has another Bichon and a Yorkshire terrier, so I hear
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I had problems with my pup but I didnt get rid of her though almost did as she would really bite and would not let go to the point she would break your skin this is a three month old cocker!

But I realised I was over reacting she was still young and we needed help so we called a 121 trainer to help us with the problem. It was a lot of hard work to put her on the right track but we still have her now and she is 9 months old and on the road to becoming a real softy she is really relaxing now and the parents are helping more with her training.

Im glad I did not give her up as i would have missed her growing up to the pup she is now. I can see why people give up maybe you could suggest the name of a good 121 trainer??

I still have marks on my hand were Millie would bite so hard and many of them were so deep they didnt heal for weeks o.0
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2012, 08:43 PM
It is odd isn't it?

My dogs are my family, they are my boys. They are part of my family. I take them into consideration in everything I do, as I would for a child, or any other member of the family who lives with me.

For some, dogs are "things" that you get, and if it doesn't work out, you get rid and get another one.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-01-2012, 06:52 AM
But....at least they asked you for help, many wouldn't.

Sometime when I look back at some of the things I got worng with Dogs it amazes me, but from day one I was keen to learn.

Not everyone has had dogs all their lives but if they are keen and willing to leanr the surely that is a good thing?

Give them a chance!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2012, 11:15 AM
You'd think these people who go through so many dogs then get rid of them because they have 'problems' would at some point have the penny drop that maybe it's not the dogs but them and their treatment of them.
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
But....at least they asked you for help, many wouldn't.

Sometime when I look back at some of the things I got worng with Dogs it amazes me, but from day one I was keen to learn.

Not everyone has had dogs all their lives but if they are keen and willing to leanr the surely that is a good thing?

Give them a chance!
Asking for help is definately a good thing!

I dont think they were asking for my help though I think they were wanting to stop me letting my dogs bark at theirs when hes patrolling the fense barking.

they got my help anyway and i went round and lent them a head collar to help them with training his lead walking.

But I suspect the mother still wont take him out.

I asked the son to bring their dog out for a walk with - my newf to get them introduced - he was a little reluctant as mine are 'vicious' apparently. - anyone met a vicious newf??

The whole walk their dog spent snarling and trying to nip mine - whilst he just turned his head away and trotted along.

Of course he has 'never done that before'.

At least they have had him neutered though.

My main issue was with the comments regarding the coming and going of dogs their they were newspapers not the fact they need help.