Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katered
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:58 PM

kennels

what do you think about putting your dog into a kennels? some people hate the idea and when i go away if i cant take my little ckcs i put her into a kennels nearby. i had a look round the kennels before hand and i have rung them for updates while i have been away etc and they always lovely and helpful. my dog 1st went there when she was only 6months old and i got some real abuse for it but she was fine. and now its not a major thing for her to go there. i always use same people and the staff love having her because she is cute and bouncy.

the kennels are heated and you get all food, bowls, insurance, and bedding included. if a accident was to happen they take dog to vets and their insurance pay for it. all dogs in there are are vacinated and fleaed and wormed. and if your dog gets lonely are stressed they sit in with them until they are calmer. i was told this at 1st i was a bit skeptical but the 2nd time i took gucci there she was out next to a cocker puppy and it had a member of staff in there cuddling it as it was scared. i found that quite reasuring.

they have lots of runs, grass and concrete, covered and open, and the dogs get out at least 3 times a day with toys and things. all special requirments are catered for. the kennels are big and safe with an indoor and outdoor section. so i dont see why people dislike it so much?

at the end of the day my dog is exercised, played with, cuddled, fed, watered, warm, safe and in responsible hands
Nanuq
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:21 PM
We have a 9 month old Malamute and we had to put her in kennels for the first time in July for 2 nights. We had no choice as all members of family that may have been able to have her were with us.

When we went on honeymoon my pil had her for a week. However, she managed to escape from their garden and they live on a busy main road, luckily MIL spotted her and managed to get her back. Since then we did not feel comfortable her going back and decided it would be best she was looked after professionally.

We have a great kennels near us. You can go and see where they are kept, they are super clean, heated etc... We put her in a few weeks ago for the night just to make sure she was ok and to be honest she loves it. She was clean, fed, watered and walked (evidence of this was her green feet ha ha!) and most of all happy. To be honest I was a little upset that she was not more pleased to see us.

We go away for a week tonight and my husband has just dropped her off. He said she was dead excited and was pleased with all the attention. We know she is going to be looked after and will be more than fine.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:22 PM
My situation sounds very similar - if we ever need to go away without the dogs (which isn't very often) and my mother in law can't look after them they go to some lovelyl kennels near us where they are spoilt rotten. The peopole who run them are fab so i have no worries about leaving them there.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I have never had to put any of my dogs in boarding kennels so far. I have friends and family who help out if we ever go away without the dogs - which is pretty unusual. I wouldn't feel particularly happy about using a boarding kennels for my dogs, as I prefer to know the people personally who are looking after them ... but that is just my personal preference, and I would never tell anyone else whether they should or shouldn't board their dogs. It is a personal choice.
Katered
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:59 PM
i use lady bird kennels
www.ladybirdkennels.co.uk
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I think as long as you do your homework and are completely happy with the kennels then it's fine. Mine go into kents farm in north weald and I think they're great. Really large kennels and runs.
A lot of people who criticise the use of kennels have never even been for a look around, so they're talking out of the wrong orifice. Kennels like everything else vary enormously and price is no reflection of quality.I looked at loads before choosing the one I use and some were blinkin 'orrible. A very few were really good.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-09-2008, 04:17 PM
With my OH being in the South West and me being in the North West I am often away for long weekends. If either of my sons can't come and look after the girlies they go into a local kennels. It is only small, and they are really well looked after and walked regularly. As my 2 are raw fed I freeze all their meals and drop them over at the kennels the day before they are due in, together with a bunch of bananas and a bag of bones for them. Nothing is too much trouble, they love going there, and if we see Steve and Gaynor in the street my dogs are really pleased to see them and cover them with kisses. I agree not all kennels are the same, there is another, larger, kennels near to me as well, and mine have been there a couple of times when I have had no other option, they are never walked and came back smelling of poo, plus she charged them as being 'extra large' dogs, they are no bigger than your average GSD which I deff don't class as being 'extra large' !!! I have my 2 booked into their normal place until April 2009 now, just to make sure they never have to go back to the other place!!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I know its not the same thing,but when we only had 2 cats we put them in a Cattery, and when we got back after a few nights away, and went to collect them, the Cattery said they had escaped ! We had asked for a window pen so they could jump up and look outside , but we didn't realise the stupid woman who owned the cattery would leave the window open, with just chicken wire covering the window. we found one cat the next day terrified hiding in the local wood, but the other cat was missing for 7 weeks, and lost more than half her body weight, and nearly died.we now feel that we could never put any of our animals in a Cattery or Kennels, because we looked at several before we chose this one, so it is difficult to tell sometimes if they will take good care of your animals.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 06:25 PM
No i wouldn't put a dog of mine in kennels, i would much prefer for them to be looked after either in my home of in someone elses home, preferably someone who they know and i trust.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Difficult one and all down to personal choice.

I prefer to go on a holiday where I can take my dog.
For any family event, she is excellent in that she can be left without being destructive - and if it is for more than 3 or 4 hours we have a good friend who used to be a kennel hand at Battersea who comes to look after her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >