Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FreddyJ
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2018, 05:01 PM

Mange? Fleas? Contagious? HELP

Hi everyone I am pretty new here well actually this is my first post. I am English, however, I am currently living in Turkey and the other night I found a puppy on the streets skinny and unwell. We have a lot of strays here unfortunately so it is a common sight but I took him in and decided to wait until the morning to take him to the dog shelter as he didn't look like he would make it. I brought him home and fed him, made him a little sleeping area out of a box. Everything was fine and then I started to see him itch and itch and itch! He would itch so much to the point that he would yelp in pain. I decided to bath him to see what the issue as and maybe help ease his skin, the water was a brown/orange colour which I believe indicates fleas however I saw few on him but he did have dirt and what looked like residue in his fur when I brushed him. I noticed that he has a sore scaley like patch at the bottom of his mouth/lip. He had thinning hair all over his back and despite the bath, he still smelt pretty bad. he had fur loss on his chest too. He also had like little pimple like red scabs on his body.

I gave him to the shelter now but as the vet was out at that time and I couldn't wait around for a diagnosis I am now unsure if he had Demodex type mange mites with a secondary infection or the contagious type Sarcoptic mites or even a flea allergy.

I have cleaned up everywhere with Boraxs, vinegar, carpet cleaner, bleach pretty much everything. However I am worried that I have caught it.

I am terrified of catching mange, I also am going to visit my family who own 2 elder dogs soon which I do not want to pass on to.

I know without any real skin scraping etc. we can not know for sure but it is what it is. So does anyone have any suggestions? ideas? I held him as I brought him home, I played with him before noticing the itching... I afterward washed my hands and continued to use gloves but I am afraid it was too late. Should I go treat myself just in case?

Thank you for reading even though I rambled on a bit there, sorry it is my anxiety getting the best of me!

Trying to add pictures even though you can't really tell:

This was before I knew that he was itchy! Poor baby

The after water....

You can kind of see his thinning fur on his back

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Bless him, he is beautiful. I hope he manages to find a good home.

I think if it was me, I would ring the vet at the place you took him to and ask his advise. He will know after examining him what problems were causing the itch and fur loss and you will be more informed to know how react to the information
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2018, 05:03 AM
What a shame................
FreddyJ
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Bless him, he is beautiful. I hope he manages to find a good home.

I think if it was me, I would ring the vet at the place you took him to and ask his advise. He will know after examining him what problems were causing the itch and fur loss and you will be more informed to know how react to the information

Yes I actually phoned this morning they said to call in the afternoon as the vet herself was in surgery. Trying to be patient right now. I have actually found a home willing to foster him once he has completed his treatment, after sharing his story all over [a social network] pages
FreddyJ
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Well they really weren't that helpful they don't do any skin scrapings they just treat them blindly basically so it may or may not have been contagious so I think I have a trip to the dermatologist just to prevent anything from happening... Oh dear

Lesson to all if you see an abandoned puppy or dog do not handle it without gloves - my advice to you all
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2018, 11:37 PM
O dear ... that is very silly of the vet not to have taken skin scrapings to find out what type of mange it is ... it sounds like sarcoptic which is not good, but only a scraping will tell. We caught sarcoptic mange from our dig ... it is hellish so you need to be prepared! I really hope you havent been infected ... good luck! x Gnasher
FreddyJ
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Yes I used a bottle of Permethrin and disinfected the entire house. Another round in 7 days....ugh such a pain.

Can I ask how long it took you to heal everyone in the household including your dog ? I have been doing a lot of research and have been hearing some horror stories
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2018, 11:01 PM
With the sarcoptic mange for me I used a product for head lice ... the dog was far far harder. And very expensive. We treated him with Advocate which we manage to buy from a website offshore where you dont need a prescription and it literally took years, ending up with him developing folliculitis as the dog's own immune system started to attack itself ... Ben is now on Apoquel which is very expensive and has some potential nasty side effects. Because Ben is nearly 13 we have decided quality of life is what is important and taken the risk of using Apoquel which really does work.