Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2017, 12:45 PM

When to spay?

We have a 6 month old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.
Our vet wants to spay her.
Our breeder says we have to wait until she has her first heat or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Vet says there is a high risk of Mammary tumors if we wait (googled and found it goes from 0.5% to 9% if not spayed before 1st heat)

Breeder says she hasn't seen problems with breeding dogs; but spaying early causes joint problems and urinary incontinence.

Vet says there are some reports of that, but it is not conclusive. Besides, they can be treated while mammary tumor likely can't be.

It is so confusing. I am leaning to 8 months; should miss the first heat, but will give 2 extra months for development.

Any strong opinions?
Woodle
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't know about your breed as I've always had Old English Sheepdogs. If I was going to get one of the girls spayed then it would be around the 1st year mark after the first season. I think the Breeder you got her from should be able to advise you as they should (hopefully) know all the Pros and Cons of your chosen Breed.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Not so much when to spay but if necessary to spay. Do your own research first before anything else . I don't say don't or do but just make sure your doing it for the right reasons not just on what a vet says
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Prefer to wait until after the first season or if possible the second this allows the dog to grow properly and mature mentally.
CooperTheGrey
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2017, 02:42 AM
I agree with waiting until her first heat. This is what I would do and know several people who also did it this way
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2017, 09:47 AM
I don't spay or neuter unless it's a medical necessity and so far we haven't had any medical necessities.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I personally prefer not to spay or neuter unless it is really necessary. Agree with Trouble on that one.
Interstellar
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2017, 01:12 AM
I would not spay until 18 - 24 months, as that's when research suggests the growth plates are closed and lack of hormones will be less detrimental.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Early spaying a guaranteed money maker for vets as they benefit financially from the problems caused later in life. If the highest risk factor is 9% then 91% is no risk.
Agree that I don't spay unless medically necessary.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2017, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
We have a 6 month old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.
Our vet wants to spay her.
Our breeder says we have to wait until she has her first heat or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Vet says there is a high risk of Mammary tumors if we wait (googled and found it goes from 0.5% to 9% if not spayed before 1st heat)

Breeder says she hasn't seen problems with breeding dogs; but spaying early causes joint problems and urinary incontinence.

Vet says there are some reports of that, but it is not conclusive. Besides, they can be treated while mammary tumor likely can't be.

It is so confusing. I am leaning to 8 months; should miss the first heat, but will give 2 extra months for development.

Any strong opinions?

Why can they not be treated? The mammary tumors? I had two females with mammary tumors and my vet simply removed them. One was 10 years of age and the other 12 years of age, my friend female also had mammary tumors which she has surgery for at 13 years old. I know a lot of other intact / breeding dogs which never had mammary tumors (including my own, but other people's also).

How do you treat IMPROPER joint development / growth? These are things to think about and ask a vet or go to another vet if this one claims they can't do anything about mammary tumors but can treat joint issue a physical development.

Ive heard of meds to help incontinence, but like anything there could be side effects to and it's not a guatantee.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >