Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Tapeworms!

I have just noticed a few teeny tiny white worms in Penelope's stool.
I gather these are tapeworms?

Am I right in thinking these are picked up through fleas?!?!?!?!?!

Feeling pretty angry with myself, she is fleaed with CSJ 'billy no mates' it's meant to be fed everyday but I haven't been feeding it religiously.
She has never had fleas before, I thought it was odd to see her scratching a little after coming back from boarding.

Should I advantage her?

Have also bought verm x natural wormer and four seasons natural wormer but think I will get some panacur as well.
Any ideas on how much to give her?
I have no idea what she weighs except that she seems to be the right size for an eight month old border collie.
Shall I dose her the amount fr the average weight of a bc at 8 months?

Edit: google says they are crawling on the surface of the stool. Is this always correct?
Because the tiny revolting things I found were UNDERNEATH the poo.
I picked up the poo and saw a couple. Eurghh.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Tapeworm segments on stools look like grains of white rice - sometimes moving. But they are usually seen in segments, not "teeny tiny white worms".
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 02:01 PM
You usually see just segments of tapeworms (unless it's a really bad case) and these look like flat grains of rice. Because they are segments they are dead - however, it doesn't mean there isn't some left inside! Google pictures of different worms to identify them.

I've seen round worms in cat vomit (sorry!) that were still wriggling but they were quite long (centimetres long) and brownish red in colour.

Where was the poo? If it was outside are you sure you weren't seeing something from the ground?
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Okay, they looked like moving white rice, NOT flattened in any way.

It was on the paved section of our garden, I removed the poo and 2 or 3 of these worm things were wriggling on the ground directly underneath where the poo had been.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Have a read of this

What are Tapeworms?

Tapeworms are a parasite that are found in the small intestine of dogs. The most common tapeworm found in dogs is the Dipylidium Caninum. They are flat and segmented, white in colour and can grow up to 20cm long. They attach themselves to the dog's intestine by their hook like mouth.

How does a dog get tapeworms?

The tapeworm cycle begins with the flea larvae eating fecal matter that contains tapeworm eggs.

The eggs hatch inside the flea and become cysticercoids.

A dog may then swallow a flea that contains these cysticercoids while chewing or biting at an itchy area on it's skin.

Once the flea passes into the dog's intestine the flea is broken down and the cysticercoids develop into an adult tapeworm.

The tapeworm attaches itself to the lining of the intestine and feeds off the nutrients.

As the tapeworm matures the tail segments drops off. These segments are mobile. Each segment contains the eggs of the tapeworm. The egg packets are passed in the feces of the dog.

The eggs are then ingested by the flea larvae

The most common areas that tapeworm eggs are found are in the dog's bedding and in your carpet.

Dogs can also acquire tapeworms by eating infected rodents or lizards.

How do I know my dog has tapeworms?

You can often see the dried sections of tapeworm around the dogs anus. They resemble rice grains.

Dogs will often scoot around on their rear end due to the irritation.

You may see the moving segments of tapeworm in the dog's poop.

Your vet may examine a smear from your dogs anus under a microscope.

How to treat tapeworms in my dog?

Treatment is simple and in most cases extremely effective. Your dog will be given a drug that kills tapeworm and doesn't cause side effects. Tapeworm tablets can be purchased from your vet.

Droncit, Cestex, Drontal, Drontal Plus, Telmintic, and Vercom Paste are highly effective against all the common dog tapeworms. Use them under veterinary guidance.

How can I prevent tapeworms in my dog

A regular de-worming regime (see above) is important and also equally important is an effective flea control regime. Read our How to get rid of Fleas article.

Can I or my children get infected with tapeworms?

Humans can become infected with the tapeworm Dipylidium Caninum but it is rare.
Tapeworm Infection in Humans is not usually spread by dogs. For more information read this article Can Humans Catch Worms from Dogs?
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Hmm, they didn't look like that.
They looked like rice, but not flat at all.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Could they have been maggots?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-08-2013, 02:30 PM
As the article states:

As the tapeworm matures the tail segments drops off. These segments are mobile. Each segment contains the eggs of the tapeworm. The egg packets are passed in the feces of the dog.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Could they have been maggots?
Possibly.
We do get a lot of flies in the garden and coming in the house, much to Penelope's rage lol!

I honestly don't know, they looked exactly like moving grains of rice. The pictures show the segments as quite flat. These definately were not flat so I don't know
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Tapeworms are flat. When the segments break off they contain eggs and end up on the dog's stool looking like grains of rice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >