Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Anyone suffer with panic attacks?

Does anyone here suffer with panic attacks and if you do how do you handle them?
I have had them for 14 years and at the moment due to personal events they are at their worst. Doctor has put me on Sertraline 100mg but it is making me worse. Thought I was dieing yesterday things were so bad.
Feeling bit better today but am scared to move really incase a panic attack is triggered. Had bad one whilst driving yesterday and tried to jump out of car while on dual carriageway. Thankfully only my 18 year old with me who managed to calm me down.
I am scared to be on my own and feel like I am going mad.

Anyone else suffer like this? x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 09:24 AM
When I'm at my worst with depression and agoraphobia I do - they've died down over the years since I recovered as best as I'm ever going to from my nervous breakdown - but I'm still known to have to leave shops and avoid going out when I'm at my lowest... one of the local Asdas is particularly bad for me.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
When I'm at my worst with depression and agoraphobia I do - they've died down over the years since I recovered as best as I'm ever going to from my nervous breakdown - but I'm still known to have to leave shops and avoid going out when I'm at my lowest... one of the local Asdas is particularly bad for me.
I am very depressed at the moment but doc deosnt think I need a cpn, but he has referred me to see counsellor.
I have had to leave shops before. I cant cope with queues or traffic jams.
Can I ask how do you know if your having a break down? Yesterday I thought I was going to die but seem a bit better today. I have not taken anti depressant today. It makes me worse. x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:27 AM
sorry I haven't and can not even imagin what your dealing with, but just wanted to send some huge ((((((((hugs))))))))
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Doctor has put me on Sertraline 100mg but it is making me worse. Thought I was dieing yesterday things were so bad.
How long have you been on it?
Don't forget, anti-depressants can take a few months to work

Sorry you feel like this. Both OH ad I suffer with depression/anxiety
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh Yes, been there and I really feel for you. My worst time was in the middle of a shopping centre when I just had to sit down until it passed, much to my Mam's embarrassment! It's been a while since I had a full on episode, but I still get mild ones quite often.

I found that Bach Flower Rescue remedy helped me if I got it early in the attack. I always have a packet of the sweetie version in my bag.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I have had panics off and on for years. They are hard to describe but come more from an overwhelming sense of anxiety.
I have had two really bad ones, the last was in 2000!
The feeling of panic coming from inside never seems to fade for me and my legs go completely like jelly and my other one was when we were in the car (hubby was driving) and this huge feeling of overwhelming anxiety hit me from out of the blue. It was weird because when the car slowed down it made me feel worse. We were on our way to Croydon and I just wanted him to turn round and go home. We continue but the feeling lasted a long time and I left me feeling completely drained.
I think the one in 2000 was due to the start of the menopause as I had another couple of milder ones during the next couple years then they just stopped.
Others have been due to family problems, I am sure.
Recently (over the last year) I have been getting through depression and anxiety problems. My dad died in 2007 which was a huge shock and then I lost one of my dogs last year. I am just starting to feel a little better but still getting anxiety worry about silly things like how will I cope going on holiday in June! Its a long car journey!
The worst of the feelings DO go away eventually.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I am glad I am not alone but sad too that other people suffer. They are embarrassing and other people don't know what to do or how to help you cope.
I know the tablets take time to work and admit only been on them a few days. I also know anxiety can get worse at first but there is no way I can continue taking them.
I hope the counselling gets sorted sooner rather than later.
It has helped no end just by being able to write about them on here! Thank you! xxxxx
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I can totally sympathise - poor you.

I have been on Sertraline (50mg a day) for about 15 years now.
I remember the first week taking it so well - sweaty, shaky, weak, thirsty, heart racing, feeling sick - really difficult when you are feeling so ropey already.
I made sure I had a quiet week or two (not that I was going anywhere anyway at that time) and did start to feel better after a week. I just made sure I didn't force myself to do anything that I couldn't cope with in that time, and then gradually started to feel better.
I'll never be ok, but have learnt to manage things better. There are still things I am unable to do.
Maybe you should persevere with the Sertraline (I know how hard it must be) - mind you it doesn't always work for everyone - my sister didn't get on with it, so switched to something else.
Try to chill & relax a bit (god I used to hate it when people said that) - please know I'm thinking of you and hope you start to feel a bit better soon x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 06:10 PM
You are certainly not alone. I have been on setraline for years and years 50mg now and am doing well. Had first nervous breakdown 25 years ago (due to working too hard in a responsible job) and then another 5 years later. It has left me with anxiety/panic attacks which rear their ugly head when a member of my family or a pet is ill. Obviously my worst time was when my wonderful hubby died over four years ago and looking back still don't know how I got through it but I did. He was totally opposite to me, very extrovert, highly intelligent and very funny. A room full of people would always come alive when he walked in and I can see that I was confident only because I was with him.
I suffer from agorophobia in that I cannot travel more than about 12 miles from home (which is handy as I work 12 miles from home ) couldn't possibly go on motorways (trapped feeling) and on my own even avoid dual carriagways. Don't get caught in traffic jams as know all the side roads etc. etc. Have bought all the books, including spending a fortune on The Linden Method 'No more panic' but never get round to reading them properly. As long as my life is calm with no worries I am fine and fingers crossed everything is ok at the moment. When my BC was ill end of last year I was in bits and one night I was shaking quite violently in bed for a number of hours and can't keep any food down. It is a horrible horrible feeling and unless you have had a full blown panic attack you have no idea how disgusting and frightening they are. I really do sympathise that you are going through this at the moment and agree with others that you either carry on taking the setraline or go back to the Doctors to get another one. I doubt whether after a few days it is the setraline that is making you feel ill as they don't really take effect for at least 3-4 weeks. I always say that I would rather have a broken leg as at least you know it is going to get better but with panic/anxiety you have no idea. I do a lot of walking with the dogs and make sure I don't rush around or do too much so that I do not get over tired. Breathing exercises are definitely beneficial as shallow breathing is a precurser to a panic attack. Also the brown paper bag to breath into when you feel one coming on is good. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to move in case it brings an attack on. I really hope you begin to feel better very soon. Lots of hugs xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >