Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
We don't have rattle snakes in the UK but we do have Adders but this is not one of them

Reminds me of a road sign in Scoland:

"Beware of the Adders"
On the other side "Beware of the Subtractors"
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
So what is the most dangerous animal that you have ever encountered on a dog walkabout

Bye the way, a rattlesnake strike comes at 279 meters per second
A solid recall is a solid recall. If there isn't time to recall your dog, there isn't time to press a button
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Wrong, simply because in an open field my dog might be up to a thousand meters away, can you yell that loud, into the wind that blows your sound back at you. That said I recall my dog 100 percent of the time by the beeper next to the shock and vibrator unit. You are just assuming that the dog is right there, my dogs run fast and far, way too far to spend all day yelling. How far do your dogs get from you? How far do you let them go? My dogs own the wood that they are in, and have free reign, as long as they keep me found.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 12:41 AM
One poisonous snake? that's it? http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/20...north-america/

Seriously we have non venomous snakes here that are eating alligators.
Not to mention bears. lions, wolves, coyotes, wolverines, and some say bigfoots. Sure we have foxes too but they are hardly dangerous to a hunting dog......................
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Mine doesn't go beyond hailing distance. I'm responsible for her safety and safety means I keep her in sight. One question. If your dog is beyond hailing distance, how do you see the snake so that you can call her away?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Um don't farmers use whistles. Their dogs go very far at times to heard the sheep and in howling gales.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 01:47 PM
I do not need see the snake as the dog has already been made fearful of previous nonvenemous snakes that have been encountered. This is the purpose of the collar, my dog will not bother any snake
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 01:55 PM
I have a whistle too but having a siren on the dog tells me where they are if close enough and also does not tell the dog where I am so I can hide on them forcing them to track me. Since they just assume that I am lost when I beep them they go into overdrive finding me. If they need help then I blow my whistle to give away my location. As long as they track me they can be totally free
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
I do not need see the snake as the dog has already been made fearful of previous nonvenemous snakes that have been encountered. This is the purpose of the collar, my dog will not bother any snake
So you could have achieved the same by training the dog to leave the non-venomous snakes and had the same end result.

Your previous post suggested you used the collar at vast ranges where your dog would not have heard a recall, not that you had trained the dog to leave snakes alone.

How did you get non-aggressive alligators and bears to start off your training?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Wheeler - I have deliberately kept out of this discussion even though I had a very good and positive result with my Alaskan Malamute x wolf, Ben. A few years ago as a very last resort we used an e collar on Ben to train a reliable recall, all else having failed. It worked - such that we only had to zap him twice for him to learn! I have never regretted it, and now it has been confined to the dog drawer in our extension, he never wears it now. He used to up until recently, and my husband would always carry the controller in his pocket, charged up, just in case, but it became very apparent that it was totally unnecessary to wear it still, so he doesn't, simple as that. An intractable problem was resolved very quickly - result! And one very happy Ben, now aged 11!
Page 37 of 42 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 > Last »