Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:18 AM

What age would YOU draw the line

Since getting Toro I can't imagine me without a Bullie...and that got me thinking, time doesn't stand still as much as we all would love it to, I'm 47, say I get a good 10 years out of Toro and Inka I'd be coming up for 58, at 58 would I cope with a Bullie ? Would I have to down size the type of dog I wanted ? is there an age when we shouldn't have a dog ?
I'd love to hear what you all think about that !
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I was a 'lady's companion' for my step-dad's neighbour. She was in her 80s when she got her last dog, a Bedlington Terrier. She walked him 3 times a day every day until she was 90.

She had him until she passed away at the age of 92. Luckily we were all there to help her with the dog and my step-dad has inherited him. I think if you have a good support network then any age is ok to have a dog as long as it is a suitable dog for the situation.

The hospice I work at has volunteers who walk people's dogs and Age Concern also do a dog walking scheme.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd be staggered if at 58 you couldn't cope with a bullie (barring serious illness and accidents) however, as there are mini bull terriers you can still downsize within your breed!
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
OMG how do I cope with 3 Dobermanns, a staffy and a terrier at 54 Ya daft old bat, I might worry when I get in my seventies but not before.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I think that has to be an individual choice.

I have had a few 'elderly ladies' come along to my classes. (By elderly I am talking mid 80's). I have often wondered how fair it is to the pup to take it one when there is a stong possibility it will out live you......but then I cannot ever see myself not having a dog....
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I think it will all depend on how mentally and physically fit you are (saying that, if you are in say a mobility scooter for instance, you will be able to run your dog easily even on the streets).

If you are well, at 58 I can't see why your faculties wouldn't be there to own a bull breed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm coping with three BC's
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Since getting Toro I can't imagine me without a Bullie...and that got me thinking, time doesn't stand still as much as we all would love it to, I'm 47, say I get a good 10 years out of Toro and Inka I'd be coming up for 58, at 58 would I cope with a Bullie ? Would I have to down size the type of dog I wanted ? is there an age when we shouldn't have a dog ?
I'd love to hear what you all think about that !
It will all depend on you and your physical and metal fitness

Never say never, but I am sure you will know when the time comes.

In saying that..friends of ours, have always had GSD`s .. they have always had at least 2 at a time.

When they lost their last one last yr.. they had a new pup... and to be honest, I think, they both (with hindsight) realise he has been a little to much for them

So far he has pulled them both over (many times, broke the woman's arm..when he pulled her over.

They are both coming up to 60, both still very fit ans active...(they could give many a youngster a run for their money) but maybe it is just this pup , maybe not.

Now he is 1yr.. they are a lot better with him.. I made them invest in a head collar.. which sorted that problem.

He is a fabulous dog, with a wonderful temperament , and they love the breed..so I guess you have to ask yourself, whether you can put up with the puppy stage of a big strong dog over again.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I'd be staggered if at 58 you couldn't cope with a bullie (barring serious illness and accidents) however, as there are mini bull terriers you can still downsize within your breed!
Becky

Becky I meant to add in that I didn't think 58 was old Toro is just over 18 months now and still hard work...I think a mini Bull would be just as hard too but there is always loads of Bullies in rescue so I would quite possibly go for a second hand more mature one...
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I believe it depends on how well you are in yourself, as already stated.

If at 70 your have NO health problems at all and (in this day and age) there's a fair chance you'll live another 10 years or so, then gettingf apuppy is freasible. Training a puppy proeprly to wlak on lead etc should get rid of problems such as pulling ont he lead before they even start. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Or, if you've slowed down a little at, say, 70, then maybe a more mature, older dog that maybe is a little calmer, already trained to walk on lead and housetrained etc.

If there's someone in their late 80's and they get a 6 month old GSD with NO training whatsoever, I think they would be being very unfair both to themselves and the dog.

After all, I think to a large extent it comes down to quality of life, both for the dog and the owner.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »